Dental Health Expert Forum
Tickle in Tonsils

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Tickle in Tonsils

I have a problem with my tonsils.  You know when you swallow a drink and some gets into your windpipe and you are left gasping for air until you cough it out?  Well, I get a tickle in my tonsils that causes me to gasp for air and cough like I got liquid in my windpipe.  When it happens I have to drink or chew gum to relieve it.

Lastnight I woke up gasping for air with the tickle in tonsils.  What could possibly be causing this?  I don't have a sore throat or a viral infection.  I have had this for years.  I also get the same thing if I touch the soft area on between my jaw and my earlobe.  I spoke to my periodontist and he hasn't the foggiest what it might be.  So, he sent me to another specialist dentist and he couldn't find anything wrong.  It is very nerve wrecking to have this as it will happen anytime, anywhere.  It's so bad sometimes that I make sure I always have a water bottle with me.

Any ideas as to what it might be or who I should see about it?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It would seem that an Ear,Nose and Throat doctor would the appropriate professional to see. Good luck
i had something similar - waking up choking - went on for years getting worse and worse. it was caused by excessive mucous coming down from the nasal area (post nasal drip). Turned out to be caused by an allergy to wheat, gluten and soy. Since avoiding these the problem has gone and I can sleep again. It was really frigtening being woken up several times a night. At it's worst i spent a whole night waking up every 15 mionuts. This is not sustainable!. I had been eating lots pf pasta (wheat) for dinner. Now I avoid the 3 things I am back to normal after about 10 years of trying to get it diagnosed. best of luck - I don't think it's a dental thing.