Dental Health Community
Tip Of Tongue Hurts....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Tip Of Tongue Hurts....

Ok... I Jus Read A Related Topic And Saw No Answer.... But My Story Goes Like This... About 3 Nights Ago My Tongue Had The Feeling Of A Burnt Tongue Like From Hot Coffee Or Something, But I Didnt Burn It on Anything... I Thought It Would Go Away On Its Own...WRONG... It Seems To Hurt More As Time Passes... I Have No Red or White Bumps... No Swelling... Just Hurts When That Area Touches Anything... I Dont Understand It At All... Its Very Discomforting To Eat...Talk... Lick My Lips... Its Gettin On My Nerves... Please Point Me In The Right Direction.. Thanks To All That Take The Time To Help!!

This discussion is related to White, painful bumps on the tip of my tongue for past 4 days, and a swolen lip..
Seeing an orofacial pain specialist or neurologist is advised.
It could be an acidic burn? Perhaps you ate too much citrus or something like that. Sour candy, oranges, limes, lemons, grapefruit, pineapple, and even apples can burn your tongue. Mostly the tip, though, because that's the most sensitive part. It should go away if you don't eat anything with citric acid for a while.
i was just reading the related article to this. i have the white bumps on my tongue and it's sore. i'm pretty sure i know why too. i get this every so often. sometimes i wake up and notice i'm slightly biting my tongue. not hard enough to do any damage, but if i'm biting it like that the whole night it gets aggravated. did you notice it after waking up? you may have bitten it in your sleep.
I've had similar symptoms of pain in the tip of my tongue for several months. While I have NO white bumps, and have suffered no burns, the tip of my tongue has a different appearance from the rest of it- it appears darkened, redder, visibly different. For about a month the sensitivity went away and my tongue was normal. Just recently the pain has returned. I can't blame it on any specific foods, drinks, toothpaste or mouthwash, nor can I explain its temporary absence and re-emergence. As for my physical being, I'm a healthy 22 yr old male, non smoker, without a history of gum or dental disease, and I only drink on occasion- all of which leads me to believe that lifestyle has little to do with these tongue problems.

It doesn't seem serious enough, yet, to warrant visiting a doctor. From about a half hours worth of internet research, it seems this ailment is non-lethal (no cancer..whew) and more of a discomfort and inconvenience than anything else. We should be so lucky that it's nothing worse. Possible treatments I've read include taking Folic Acid supplements and something called Alpha Lipoic Acid (over the counter, 600mg). After work I'll be stopping by the drug store to find these for my own tongue..if I remember to do so I'll post again testify to the effectiveness, or failure, of those two remedies.

Best of luck everyone
Hmm. I have something similar going on with me. Like a month ago I got my lip peirced and it got infected. I went to the doctor and they said it wasn't that bad and had put me on Antibiotics anyways just to make sure. They are called Cephalexin (I have never heard of it before). I've been taking these Antibiotics for almost a week now, not sure if the pills could have caused this or not but... About 3 days ago I started getting this burning sensation on the tip of my tongue, also my taste buds seem to be popped up a little more then what they should be and they are kinda white looking. There is like a perfect half circle from the very tip of my tongue back about a half inch. I don't know exactly what it is and I'm getting very erritated because the burning is getting really annoying lol. I was told it could be from my tasted buds being irritated from me playing with my lip ring so much with the tip of my tongue. I've been told it's from the Antibiotics and that it should clear up a few days after the meds are out of my system. Was told it could be a yeast infection but I was thinking that if it is that shouldn't it be all over my mouth and just not the tip my tongue..? I have also been told it could be an allergic reaction from the lip ring but, I have other peircings and this has never happened before... I don't know. I'm trying to hold off going to the doctor because I'm not sure if this is serious enough as I've never exsperienced anything like this before.
OMG the same exact thing is happening to me. I was put on Keflex (Cephalexin) for a bacterial infection. By the end of the third day the tip of my tongue started to feel weird. I didn't think much about it but when I got home I began examining it in the mirror and noticed it was really red, just on the tip. It has a slight burning sensation, nothing intolerble just annoying, that comes and goes. I stopped taking the Keflex immediately, even though I probably shouldn't have, but I was concerned that this tongue thing was going to turn into oral thrush, I've never had oral thrush but I'm terrified of getting it for reasons not related to this post. I wonder if the Keflex caused this for us, and if you read this post please respond and let me know if yours ever went away, thank you!!
So it's five days after I quit the Keflex and the tip of my tongue is still red and now my whole mouth is burning. I'm started to get worried. :(
I have had this same exact thing for years! For about two years it would come and go randomly (typically 1-3 months between each week of it coming back) and didn't seem to link up to anything specific. My dentist prescribed clonazepam tablets that I would dissolve on my tongue. It definitely worked at first but then I seemed to build up a tolerance to it so I started taking three or more at a time and eventually was slightly addicted. Fortunately - for that reason - when the prescription ran out I was no prescribed anymore.

Another thing the dentist suggested to do was dip the tip of my tongue in hot sauce. This worked the very first time and seemed to relieve my pain for a few hours but then it came back and it never worked again when I tried it other times.

After two years of trying the above mentioned things, the dentist finally suggested Peroxyl. It is a mouthwash type thing made by Colgate that you can find probably in any drugstore. I always buy it in Walmart. Peroxyl seemed to be the trick! The first day of this weird tongue pain/burning is the least bad as you probably know so that is when I would notice it was coming back and would use the Peroxyl. It stings a lot but relieves it pretty much instantly AND even stops it from progressing!!!! No more week long bouts of burning pain for my tongue anymore! It still comes back just as often but it doesn't stay which is the main concern. This has worked non-stop for the past few years.

Unfortunately, this week it came back and this is the first time Peroxyl didn't work :( I hope this is just a fluke, but with this pesky really weird problem who knows! I still recommend Peroxyl to anyone that is suffering from this and hopefully it will bring you the same fantastic relief it has brought me until now.

This dumb tongue symptom is just so strange and pretty much HORRIBLE!!!! Wish I knew what it truly was.

Same here. Started CFlex antibotic (antibiotic) a few days ago for sinus infection and now the very tip of my tounge burns. This happens with me more at night when I get a super dry mouth. I wake up and it's buring like crazy!!
Same here...perfect half circle of reddish buds on the tip of my tongue. They feel like my tongue has been burned on something hot. No antibiotics, no dental work, no oral piercings. Started almost a month ago.
did you guys solved your problem?

in the front-border of my tongue, my taste buds are irritated. this started in June 2012 (we are in January 2013 now). so 7 months now.

the problem is that tastebuds are painful, specially after I talk too much (due friction with the teeth, I suposse). the pain goes and comes. you can check my Journal for all the tests I have done.

any ideas? anyone with similar symptoms?
What happened after you started using the supplements? I have exactly what you describe (but I drink at least once a week and I'm approaching 31). Its only been going on for a week but I would prefer if it didn't continue. I had blood work done a month ago because I just started taking Lisinopril and everything was normal. I do have high blood pressure (but it's controlled by 10mg of Lisinopril). I have been in-taking a lot of spinach lately (at least 3 servings per day but some times as much as 6-9servings). I looked up "too much iron" symptoms (from the spinach) but it didn't say anything about the tongue, just diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain.