Dental Health Expert Forum
Upper jaw Canines+Incisor protruding out

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

One of my incisors, and both of my canines of my upper jaw are slightly protruding out in front of all the other teeth (well, the canines are protruding more). I can't really find a picture to explain it, but I hope you get it. This was because when I was a kid and my milk canines and one of my milk incisors didn't fall out on time, and my permanent teeth grew over them until they broke. My parents never bothered to get them fixed.

This really spoils my face when I smile with my teeth showing, and I've become pretty conscious of openly laughing.

My lower jaw is good, and the rest of my teeth too. Any idea what is the procedure to get it fixed? Is it going to be braces? If so, I'd rather stay like this.
I would say braces are probably the more ideal way to go.  If you don't like the idea of metal brackets, you may be a good Invisalign or ClearCorrect case.  Those are mouth trays which are shaped to move your teeth.  You switch trays every so often to align your teeth and since they're clear, they're less noticeable.  

If you don't want any of that, then veneers or crowns may be done but that requires cutting teeth which I wouldn't do if braces are possible.
Hmm okay thanks a lot.
I know it's tough for you to tell without actually having a look, but any idea from your experience that how long would regular braces have to be on to fix such a case?
I don't really know.  If it is just that, I would imagine 6 months or so.  If the bite is completely off along with them just being out of just straight alignment, then it may take years.  The only way you'll know is by seeing a dentist or orthodontist.