Dental Health Expert Forum
White soft lump on gums

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

White soft lump on gums
Hi there, thanks for any answers to my question.

On the gum in between two of my teeth on my upper left middle set is a small (1 or 2 mm) painless white lump.  To add to that the whole "piece" of gum that is between my two teeth looks and feels swollen.  It almost looks as if i had had cut right  where my gums go down between these two teeth teeth leaving this little patch of swollen gum.

It doesn't bleed at all, even when vigourously brushing or flossing, nor does it hurt.

It has been around for a couple weeks, getting neither bigger or smaller.  Neither of the teeth on either side hurt at all.

Any idea what it could be?  Some food that got stuck in there?  I have been eating a lot of popcorn lately.
It is possible that  you traumatized the tissue and or have a piece of pop corn kernel under the gum, either way I would see your dentist for a consult.
It's probably a fistula, which is a sign of infection.  They can be stable, painless, and durable.  See a dentist right away so you don't lose any of the teeth around the bump.
A related discussion, Soft white lump on gum was started.