Dental Health Community
aching lower jaw and sensitive teeth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

aching lower jaw and sensitive teeth

Help me please!  For a couple of weeks I have had a horrible aching pain in what feels like my lower jaw bone.  The pain is so severe that I will wake up in the middle of the night and can do nothing to ease the pain.  My teeth have also been very sensitive, even to drink a cold drink or hot tea.  I have recently had a couple of cavities filled but this did not start untill a couple of weeks after so Im not sure if they are connected or not.  Even if they are connected I had a filling on the top left and the bottom right, the pain is all along my entire lower jaw.  Please help me figure out what this is!!
Thank you!
Seeing a tmj specialist is advised.
I do have severe TMJ and have had for many years, however this pain is not in the joint it feels like it is in the jaw bone.  I have never had sensitive teeth before as a result of the TMJ unless this is a new symptom.  
Thanks for your help.
Symptomatology of temporomandibular disorder is not restrcted to tmj pain. In stead, most tmd sufferers present muscular pain, which can manifest as head, neck, and upper shoulder pain. sometimes, ear, nose , and eye amy have symptoms associated with tmd.Unless there is intrabony pathology identified, the common source of jaw bone pain is referred from myofascial trigger point pathology. With regard to chronic musculosketetal pain, the pain site is frequently heterogeneous to pain source.
I had a crown a few months ago and i went back about 6 times for the dentist to grind down the tooth to make it more comfortable . I found i could no eat on that side and felt uneven. I wear a top mouth brace for my teeth grinding.
I have a dull ache in that tooth to heat and cold sometimes, but the real trouble is in my jaw when i wake up it as gradually got worse over the months from a loud clicking and almost making it hard to eat. I went to an endo dentist who said root canal then to a physio she seem to think with the TMJ i should wait for it to settle.
It is confussing to know who to go to...when i wake up and during the waking i cant get my mouth open wide enough to eat and when i do i cant take anything on the harder side. A couple of days ago i had that buzzing in my head its gone. .thank you
I also have tooth pain after having a filling done.  But, my entire left jaw hurts, upper and lower.  However, the lower is much more painful.  The pain comes and goes.  It will hurt for about an hour, so bad I can hardly stand it and then it stops.  A few hours later, it begins again. My teeth on the left side are very sensitive to hot and cold.  I've just been taking Tylenol for relief, which isn't much.  Help!