does packing a dry socket stop it closing up?
i have a dry socket after a lower left wisdom tooth extraction. my jaw bone is exposed. i have been successfully treating the pain at home by packing it with an olive/clove oil soaked piece of gauze which i change every 4-6 hours. i also rinse with salt water between dressing changes. however, i am now concerned that my packing the socket may be impeding the healing process. will the socket remain open as long as i continue to pack it and what is the best way of ensuring bacteria doesn't get trapped in there when it closes?
i learned in school you can use olive oil as a home remedy, be care rinising with salt water, dont do it to hard as this can loosen the clot

you could go to the dentist and have them put dry soclet paste in there, this will save you from having to pack it a few times a day, you could ask them to prescribe the paste to you, its called Triamcinolone Acetonide 0.1% Dental paste. some dentist will give you some, some wont. but i would ask and dont take no for an answer!
the clot has already been dislodged from the socket, hence the dry socket and visible jawbone. i actually went into  my dentist today and was very concerned about the hole in my mouth. i'm scared that my bone will get infected or something with it bening exposed to all the bacteria etc. plus, when i change the dressings, particles of food always come out of the socket, which scares me because what if the socket closes up with food or something inside and i get an infection under my gum? furthermore, because the wisdom tooth was impacted, the nature of the incision  means i can see the root of the adjacent molar, which is also at risk of infection due to the exposure. the dentist told me i had an infection and he prescribed anti-biotics and an anti-bacterial mouthwash. i really, REALLY wanted him to pack the socket with an anti-bacterial gauze (this is what the dental nurse told me they would do when i called in) but he said "you should never put anything in the socket" so now i'm even doubting whether i should have packed it at all...

i've never heard of the paste. i wonder if i could get it off prescription?
some dentist will prescribe it, some wont....in my office, if we even thought the person would get a dry socket (smoker, bad oral hygiene) we would always put it in there.......

are you in pain?
Yes I am in pain with a dry socket I have been going to the dentist twice a day getting it packed & repacked & I'm still hurting
Any Suggestions?? Please!! I am really hurting!!!