Dental Health Community
enamel replacement?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

enamel replacement?

My dentist found that some of my sensitivity was coming from 4 specific teeth where he thought the enamel had thinned. It's in the area closest to the gum line and the nerve in the tooth. He scheduled an appointment to augment that enamel with composite (?) or something. I have never heard of this and don't know what it is called. Although one tooth is now so painful that I barely touch it with the toothbrush, I am still nervous about this procedure. It also doesn't make sense to me that I'd have so much pain now. I had x-rays with a different dentist - or maybe it was the oral surgeon - only three years ago and at that time I was told that my enamel was much thicker than average. So, where did it go? Anyone heard of this procedure? I don't want to lose those teeth if this is some fad or experimental treatment. The teeth themselves are otherwise healthy and don't even have fillings/cavities.

Thanks in advance.
Tags: Teeth, Pain
The procedure is probably composite bonding on exposed root surface, which is a non-invasive procedure. if the procedure does'nt solve the sensitivity, further investigation of the pain source is warranted.
thank you very much!!! I was very worried because I had never heard of this. He said he was going to rough the surface but I was not sure if he would penetrate the enamel or not. Excellent news!