Dental Health Expert Forum
facial nerve damage after root canal?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

facial nerve damage after root canal?

I had a root canal done on my wisdom tooth on my lower left jaw. That wisdom tooth was growing towards the tooth next to it and couldn't surface, so I had to have some dentist or surgeon try to pull it up before i could get braces. They were able to pull it up, but i guess it was too much trauma and caused some nerve damage. So i ended up having to get a root canal on it. they shaved the tooth and remove the dead nerves but werent able to get to one of the canals so theres some dead nerve left inside which he said was fine...

Right now, my facial expressions on the left side of my face doesn't look as natural. Like when I smile, it looks like I'm faking it even though I'm truly smiling and it shows on the right side of my face which looks a lot more natural. I'm 20 and its been about 4-5 years since I had that done I think. I'm not sure when this change occurred and just want to know if it is possible that the root canal operation could have done something to the nerves or facial muscle to cause this.

Thanks!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I doubt very much that this was the cause of your problems. Have you consulted a neurologist to see if in fact there is nerve damage?
I would also check with a cardiologist to make sure it wasn't heart related.  Sometimes when your teeth are worked on the bacteria can travel to your heart.
A related discussion, dental work and nerve pain was started.
A related discussion, facial nerve damage was started.