Dental Health Expert Forum
headaches after root canal
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

headaches after root canal

I had a root canal done(tooth #20) last Thursday.  On Friday I was just a little sore but on Saturday morning I had a bad headache entending from my cheekbone to my eye on that side of the face.  My upper teeth also feel tight and my jar aches a little.  It is now Tuesday morning and if I am not taking 800 Mg of motrin at all times the pain will not go away.
On Thursday I had the roots cleaned, then plugged. My dentist put a temporary filling on after that.  I am supposed to back in a few days for the post.
Is the pain I'm experiencing normal or is this an indication of a problem?  When I call the office they just say to take more Motrin.  thanks!

Related Discussions
I think it is getting a little long for this type of discomfort. I certainly would not have the post placed until the tooth is absolutely asymptomatic.Make sure the tooth is out of occlusion so that you can not touch the tooth when you eat.
2 Comments
Blank
Pain from a root canal can actually WORSEN the first few days.  It sounds quite normal for your more significant pain to settle in on the second full recovery day.  I've had root canal pain for up to two full weeks after the procedure.  Keep in mind that with temporary filling your tooth is, for all intents and purposes, "hollow."  Do NOT bite or chew on it, you could risk cracking it.  Also, the ligaments near the tooth are badly traumatized.  You will likely get fully examined before the permanent filling and crown is put on, and at that time the filling makes the tooth feel a lot stronger and better.  Give it more time.  So far, your pain is not that unusual.
Blank
A related discussion, Headache after having a crown was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
540545_tn?1377626518
Jerome Tsang, DDSBlank
Irvine Modern Dentistry
Irvine, CA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now