Dental Health Community
how long do braces hurt

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

how long do braces hurt

hi i am 17 and i got braces a week ago and it hurts  everytime it is tightend and is that normal  i was trying to get answar and found out it here but http://****.com/braces/do-braces-hurt-everything-about-braces-pain/ i didntor realy get it what it sayed can anyone tell me how  long will braces hurt me  is it normal if it hurts ?
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there,
Pain and discomfort is common after braces application. The length of time varies in every person and usually decreases with time. After a few days, the pain may go away since the tension in the wire has gone down and your teeth have already begun the process of moving .After tightening you may again experience pain till the time your  teeth have moved into their new position.  This pain will usually be most severe in first 24 hours and resolves in 2-3 days. If the symptoms are severe it is best to get it checked by a dentist. I hope it helps.
Best wishes and take care!