Dental Health Community
how long does dry socket pain last?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

how long does dry socket pain last?

I had a complicated tooth extraction a week ago on bottom tooth. The tooth wasn't stong enogh to pull out in one peice, so she had to lossen the bone around the roots to remove it. She put in more bone compund and packed the socket and stitched me closed. I have now developed what I think is a dry socket ( the pain is amazing). I called her back , and she said she can't use the  dry socket packing , because we will undo everything she has done ( ie bone compond). She gave me a 7 day couse of antibiotic, and of course I have vicodin and motrin. How long can this go on? I was planning on a dental implant, but i don't think i want to go thru with anymore oral surgery , once I can get rid of this pain. Thanks!
If your extraction site pain  persists more than 2-3 days,you may need switch to other antibiotics. Going back to your dentist to address your pain is advised.
my husband is going through a extreme pain from what we think is a dry socket, it's been over 3 weeks since the wisdom tooth extraction and the pain is worst than when the tooth was there.  He has tried everything from vicadin to codine, and stronger doss and nothing is working...the only thing that give some confort for a few seconds is holding water in his mouth for a minute.  what is this?????  The dentist just says keep coming back for some gell, which we bought (clover oil) to do at home as well, and that is not working, but it has only been 3 days of that...how long should that treatment take to work?  

any help or advice from anyone is appreciated!!!!!

sincerely,
socket
I had a tooth extracted on Monday and by Wednesday it didn't feel right, it was uncomfortable and my breath was bad.  By Friday the pain was through the roof.  Been to the dentist who packed it with anaesthetic and clove oil which gave relief for about an hour.  No pain relief is touching this, I bought some clove oil which tastes awful but gives some relief.  I was just wondering how long is this going to go on for?