Dental Health Community
lower left molar rotted under gold crown

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

1996..Dentist filled a cavity and put a gold crown on lower left molar.  Returned due to pain and was sent across the hall for a root canal (thru the crown, I guess). Saw my new dentist approx. a year ago for another problem.  He couldn't believe I was not having pain due to the tooth under the crown starting to rot (in spite of GOOD dental hygiene).  Said it would have to be pulled. Lost my dental ins. due to agency closure before I could have the tooth pulled.  Two weeks ago, the horrific pain started.  Looking at the tooth, it appears my gum in that one spot is receding and I believe I am seeing the root.  The gold crown is in place; appears some of the tooth is gone but still embedded in gum.  Even with my high pain thresh hold, pain is unbelieveable.  Can the tooth be pulled or will it require surgery?  What are the remifications of leaving the area open after tooth is gone? What happens to the gold crown?  I won't have dental insurance for several months with my new job.  If I can handle the pain with numbing solution and pain meds, can I wait to have procedure done?  Thank you in advance for any advise you can provide.