numbness of lower lip part up to chin
Recently (10 days back) I experienced pain of my left side tooth(for which I had cap from lat 6 months). After one day the pain has increased & numbness of part lower lip up to chin has started and there was swelling of left jaw also. After 2 days when the tooth pain,numbess and swelling increased then I consulted dental doctor who after degital X ray confirmed that it is due to the infection below the root of the tooth and there was compression to the blood carring nerve(or pipe) which resulted in numbness. He advised me to go for immediate root canal treatment of the affected tooth.Accordingly I  got  the root canal treatment done for the infected tooth.After that now the swelling and pain have reduced but there is no change in the numbness of the lower lip left side up to chin. It has remained constant even after 10 days of treatment.
The Dental doctor tells me that it will take time and not to worry for the numbness fo my power lip left part up to chin.
I am worried and do not know what to do. Since every thing started along with tooth pain I obviously think that the numbness is because of tooth problem which the dental doctor also confirmed.
The nuerophysician says that it may due to diabetis and as far as my knowledge is concerned my sugar levels are under control.Can any body advise me the future course of action and how I can regain senses for my lower lip. Weather the problem is of serious nature or a routine one./Suri