Dental Health Expert Forum
post tooth extraction infection??????

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

post tooth extraction infection??????

13 days ago my upper left (last) molar was extracted.  It was large and hard to get out.  A week later (this past Monday) the stitches were taken out.  At that time I was told by the assistant that there was food trapped in the cavity due to the stitches and she irrigated it.  She gave me the syringe she used and instructed that I do the same several times a day for a few days because food continues to stay in there.  Yesterday I noticed that the area directly over the cavity and gum surrounding were sore and sensitive.  I don't see much redness as far as it is possible to see but I am afraid of an infection.  I am using alternative remedies systemically to treat a possible infection.  Any advice on this would be appreciated.  Thank you.
It probably isn't an infection, at least, severe enough to warrant any antibiotics.  The area may still need some time to heal.  Keep the area clean and gently irrigate the socket.  The sutures may have helped food getting stuck in the area.  With the sutures removed, food should be less likely trapped in that area.  If you keep the area clean, the gums will gradually grow back and fill in the space.  If the symptoms or problem worsens, I would recommend going back to your dentist.
Thank you for your comments.  I forgot to mention that the surrounding gums were also puffy, but they seem to have come down with the remedies I'm using.  A little afraid to  clean too much or harshly with the syringe I was using so am just rinsing now.  Thank you again for your help, it is appreciated.
If you keep the area clean, the gums will gradually grow back and fill in the space.  If the symptoms or problem worsens.
A related discussion, same as grandma143 was started.