Dental Health Expert Forum
problems while wisdom tooth extraction

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

problems while wisdom tooth extraction

Today i had surgery for extracting my wisdom tooth, that was in lying position. I started it at the dentists office but suddenly turned out she wasnt capable of doing  this surgery as my whole face swelled and air entered inside my chick. I quickly went to the hospital and they helped me and extracted the tooth. In total it took 6 hours, that was horrible. Now everything is ok, but i still feel air under my chick, what would you reccomend?
They should prescribe antibiotics to prevent any infection into the area.  While that is occurring, I'm assuming they gave you home care instructions for the area.  The air in the cheek will go away on its own but it may take some time before its completely gone.  

Is there any plan follow ups for the situation?
yes they prescribed antibiotocs that i have to take for 5 days. pain killer injection in case of pain - but i haven't used it yet. also two more injections if the temperature gets too high - haven't used it too. and to prevent more swelling i use ice packs - that's it and today i need to visit the surgeion again to check the situation as he said that there may be some problems with the blood storage inside the empty tooth hole. after the dentis problem i become very nervous and i am checking the surgions steps too. I am onterrsted is it normal that dentist begins this operation messes it up and senda to hospital, doesn't panoramic picture show everything for the doctor to understand if he/she is capable of doing it? I am very dissapoonted with that dentist
Hm.  I'm not sure what exactly happened but the air entrapment that occurred may be due to the drilling of the area to extract the tooth.  When the drill spins, it blows air which may have went down into the socket area and pushed itself down into your cheek area.  

Its definitely important to follow up with the area and make sure that it heals properly.  The air itself will eventually go away but you want to make sure there's no infection or other complications.

You may want to ask your dentist or surgeon what happened.  

Thank you very much