Dental Health Expert Forum
root canal sores

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

root canal sores

I had gum sores near a tooth that was dead.  I had the root canal and it was cleaned out throughly.  Before I went back to the dentist for the crown - I discovered one of sores (pimples) had come back.  Then it went away.  Now it's back.  The gums themselves are not red and inflammed but the pimple comes and goes within a couple of days.  Is this normal???????
If its cleaned out, it'll probably resolve on its own in a few weeks.  Did your dentist place you on antibiotics?  The root canal itself is cleaned out but there may still be some residual infection in the jaw bone which should resolve itself since the root canal system is cleaned out.

Thank you for your help.  It is VERY appreciated.  Yes it was cleaned out (4) times.  I had the antibotics before the root canal started and was still on them while it was being done.  The pimples cleared up and the root canal was done but this started to happen BEFORE I got the temporary crown (which I haven't gotten yet).  So of course I was in a panic.  What you are saying makes perfect sense since the area is healthy looking except for the pimple. I hope my doctor agrees - I see him Tuesday
Ya, you may want to have him check the area but it probably just needs some time to resolve.  It may have been a pretty bad infection and will just take more time to heal up.  As long as there's no swelling of the area, that's a good sign.  The pimple forming may be some bacteria/pus leaking through the jaw bone and into the gum area.  Again, since the root canal is done, it should fix the problem.

Oh and what I mean by swelling is your face getting puffy, not a little minor swelling like the pimple.

Usually if u have a pimple next to a chronically infected tooth...a little surgery needs to be done . What happens is that usually there is an epithelial lining that covers the sinus tract which needs to be removed from the apex of the tooth to the opening in the mouth. It should resolve the problem provided there are no problems with your root canal treatment. Hope it helps.
Thank you to you both.  No puffiness anywhere, Dr. Tsang.  - Simpleman1, ironically  I am having sinus problems.  I did ask at the time but he felt they weren't related.
He's not referring to your sinus.  He's referring to a little canal that forms from the source of the abscess to the gum.  It makes a little tunnel and he's saying if you remove the lining of that little tunnel, it should make the pimple go away.
BAD NEWS - apparently the tooth split so the root canal was for naught.  Thank you for your help - it was very appreciated.
Oh sorry to hear that.  I hope things go smoothly from here on out!
Well, the tooth is gone.  Both of my doctors agree they never saw a tooth as bad as mine was.  Strange thing is I never felt any pain either during the root canal process or the removal.  Or even before.  The only indication that they was a problem were the sores.  When he was done removing the tooth he said, "did I hurt you?"  I said, "No, were you trying to???"  I got a laugh out of him. He is now recommending a dental implant because he doesn't like bridges.  Do you have a suggestion?  I had heard that the implants are difficult and don't always take
Implant is the best option...for bridges u have to cut the healthy adjacent teeth to put crowns on them and than once you put them u have to keep them clean and cavity free...if one fails everything has to come out. As far as implant goes 95% success rate...they are made out of titanium so can not have cavities...don't have to cut the healthy teeth ...stand by themselves...however the only area where implans are more likely to fail is the back of the upper jaw. Hope it helps!!
I agree with simpleman1.  Implants are more ideal a treatment than a bridge and it has a greater chance of long term success.  I would be a little more conservative and say the success rate is more in line of about 80-85% of it taking and that if it does take, the longevity of it lasting 20+ yrs is 90-95% of those implants that do take.  While the procedure is short relatively, it does take awhile for the bone to heal around it so you have to be patient during the process of healing but once it succeeds, it should last quite a long time.