Dental Health Expert Forum
severe pain after placing temporary crown

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Thank you in advance for your help!

I had a temp. crown put on July 1st. I was sedated, as I am very afraid of any kind of dental work. Next day I felt fine, A little bit of pain, but not much. But day after day my pain increased. Since it was 4th of July weekend I couldn't just go back. By July 6th I couldn't sleep at night without ibuprofen. On the 6th I went back and the doctor said it was my gums' sensitivity that caused the problem. He took the crown off, shaped it up and put it back, saying I'd feel fine now. It's been more than 24 hours, and I still feel the same severe pain. The pain is so bad I can even feel it in my ear. I don't think it's my gums, I think it's my tooth that hurts. Does this mean I'd have to do RC?

Thanks again.
Its possible that you may need a root canal.  Unfortunately it sounds like the nerve is irritated and at this point, it sounds like its not healing on its own.  You should inform your dentist of your symptoms and get it evaluated.  You can also go to a specialist (endodontist) to see if you need a root canal.  But your general dentist should be able to diagnose it.  Are you taking any pain meds besides the motrin?

Many thanks for posting your question. It sounds that this may be the case of Pulpitis or "inflammed pulp." I believe you will require root canal treatment of the affected tooth. It may stop hurting very suddenly. But all may not be well afterwards. I would suggest consulting an another specialist dentist who would like to examine your teeths & gums health and order some investigations like dental X-Ray to reach at appropriate diagnosis. Hope this information proves helpful to you.

Dr. Amrata
Thank you so much for your answers! Before I did the crown I had a full exam with x-rays and such. I thought it would be known if I needed RC done. Am I wrong?

Yes, I do take other painkillers. I was taking the one that I was prescribed, but I was so drowsy after it, that I started changing between ibuprofen & advil . They help for a longer time, up to 6 hours, while the prescribed ones were good for 3-4 hours.

That *****! I don't think I have any money with my insurance plan left to do RC. As I said, I was sedated, so they offered to do "more" dental work at once. And I think they reached the max. :-(
Ya, sorry your insurance is maxed out.  That's a problem with dental insurance, its very limited.  Most plans don't cover very much in terms of dental treatment.  I always felt that if health insurance was built like dental insurance, people would be very upset.  Imagine if you had a car accident and your insurance company said they'll pay for one arm to be fixed but you gotta pay for your leg.  I never understood why people tolerate insurance companies to partially pay for it.  

Yes, sometimes we can diagnose a root canal with an exam, x-rays and your symptoms but sometimes the pulp can degenerate or die off due to dental treatment.  The heat and trauma from the burr can cause the pulp to begin to die.  There's no way to know when or why this exactly happens but sometimes the tooth gets inflicted with injuries that at some point, it loses its ability to heal.  This can be due to a lifetime of trauma, injury, cavities, dental treatment, etc. all added up together
There's no way I'm doubting my dentist. I'm just trying to decide what to do next. I can't afford to pay out-of pocket for root canal, and my ins. enrollment period is April - I can't wait until then, wither. I am thinking to just ask them to pull this tooth out. Yes, I will lose the money I've spent on the crown, but I just don't have money to pay for RC
See if you can work out a financial arrangement with your dentist to make monthly payments.  Some dentists will have third party programs through Chase, GE or other companies to help finance dental treatment.  Just make sure you are good about making the monthly payments as the interest rates are pretty high, like a credit card.