Dental Health Community
tooth sensitivity after crown placement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

tooth sensitivity after crown placement

My bottom right molar had a filling which was years old. my current dentist indicated that there was decay under the filling due to improper sealing. after he drilled the decay away, he placed a temp crown. No root canal was needed. i had no problems chewing or drinking with the temp crown.  I went back for my permanant crown and my dentist cemented on my permanant gold crown. no porcelin was needed as it is a molar and no one sees it but me. however, the tooth under the crown is very sensitive to cold and heat through the crown.  does this mean that a build up was needed? Do i have him remove the crown and complete the buildup? will this cost me additional money for a new crown?
There really is no way to remove a crown, rebuild it and put it back on properly. Once you alter the tooth under the crown, the crown isn't going to fit as perfectly as it did before which can lead to many problems. My first thought would be that maybe the bite is a little off. If the crown is high, an adjustment may be needed to alleviate the pressure on that tooth. If the crown fits perfect and all margins are sealed, you shouldn't experience any sensitivity. It isn't uncommon for a couple of days after the crown was placed but if it's been a while and it doesn't seem to be getting any better, I would call your dentist. Also, I would imagine that if he removed the old filling and some decay, that he may have already done a build-up which is basically a substructure for the crown.