Dental Health Expert Forum
tooth soreness years after root canal

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

tooth soreness years after root canal
I had a root canal and crown on my top 2nd molar from back about 15 years ago. The tooth never did feel quite right, and the endo back then gave me some antibiotics and eventually the discomfort left or I just learned to ignore it. However, lately it has become a problem such that too much pressure chewing will start a soreness that feels like a periodontal ligament like pain (I am just guessing). I also get this if I grab the tooth and move it around - and after soreness etc. I have no heat or cold sensitivity and my regular dentist sees no nerve, absess or anything on xray - though he did mention something about bone loss to his assistant when looking around that area. He provided no feedback on what to do about this. Not sure where to turn next..I have read about cases of atypical-odontalgia and wondered if it might be that?
Have you considered going to an endodontist (root canal specialist) and getting it evaluated there?  You may want to ask your dentist for a referral.

Does the tooth feel loose at all?  Sometimes you can get a fracture or break in  the tooth that can result in pain, not in the tooth itself because of the root canal but the bone and ligaments around it.  
Hi and thanks for responding! No, there is no looseness in the tooth or any other signs and my dentist was not able to see anything on xray. It's very bizarre, and I reluctant to go to an endo because I imagine he will want to remove the crown, and then I will be out a whole lot of money for something which seems mysterious and may not have a resolution.
Well, if the endodontist is a good one, he/she should evaluate it and tell you whether or not removing the crown is worth it in the first place.  They shouldn't just remove it so they can see inside better on a hunch.

I'm assuming you've been going for regular routine cleanings and such.  Any other changes at all in the area or the teeth opposite the problem tooth?