Dental Health Community
upper partial

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

upper partial

I'm going to have an upper partial made in a couple of weeks. It will be made with 4 or 5 teeth, all in the back. I forgot to ask the doctor, does the partial have a roof like the roof of my mouth? He didn't have a model so I can't really envision what it looks like. So I'm not sure of the profile or how it actually fits in my mouth.
A removable partial upper dentire generally has a major connector covering palate.
So it covers the roof of my mouth? In other words, with the partial in place, I lift my tongue to touch the roof of my mouth, I'm going to be touching the partial where the roof of my mouth is?
depending on the design of major connector. If you prefer having minimal coverage, please address the issue to your dentist.
Ok. Thanks for your time. I'll get more detail from dentist.
I have a partial for my front top four teeth.  It has a horseshoe type piece of metal that covers a portion of the roof of my mouth and clasps around the back teeth.  It also has a bit of the acrylic that stretches behind the teeth in the front.  Sort of feels like a glob of bubble gum behind the teeth.  I had mine placed as soon as the teeth were extracted and have worn it since.  It took me a very short time to get used to it and my dentist did a great job fitting it properly which can make all the difference in the world.
You really will get used to it after a short adjustment period.  I hardly know mine is there now and it's only been three weeks.
Best to you and let us know how you do.
Gellia
depends on the type of denture - ordinary acrylic are the biggest and hasa roof like plate which covers most of your mouth roof. Metal framed are most expensive but have a metal frame work and clips which hold it in place like Gellia has said and a horseshoe type of structure. Flexible ones like Valplast are smallest and are just like a horse shoe and have a bit of a roof butnot much. They clip onto the existing teeth with nylon type flesh coloured clips. I have them. Logon to www. Dr Spiller. com and his dental web site has photos and full descriptions. The less mass you have in your mouth the better because the dentures obstruct the taste and sensations of hot and cold. Good Luck