Dental Health Community
white 'stuff' around healing gum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

white 'stuff' around healing gum

hello,

10 days ago i had a bone grafting in my upper incisor socket after tooth removal in preparation for the future implant. A dissolvable collagen membrane was placed as well to protect grafting material. Then the socket was stiched, a temporary maryland bridge placed to cover the gap, and gums looked nice and pink for a week. A few days ago i noticed some white stuff over the area where the gum was stitched. It looks like a plaque or some white sticky, fluffy tissue around my temp. tooth near gum line, but it does not cause any problems. it doesnt hurt, doesnt smell, and the gum around it is still pink. It is just looking strange. I tried to touch it with a q-tip but id doesnt want to detach that easily. What is it? Is it a normal healing process of the gum or is it a dead tissue or a scab? Im seeing my dentist next week, just wanted to be sure that it is not an urgent problem.

thank you for your answer
Hi I just had the same procedure and the white stuff is a fibrin clot. You don't want to disturb it or touch it as you can get dry socket if the clot comes out. It is also normal and is supposed to be there. I asked the same question when I got it as I thought it was an infection. So, you are fine.
mkh9
thank u so much for your comment because i really thought that white stuff was an infection and i am so scared of infection and dry socket but todaymakes day four since i had all my uppers pulled n two lower left on the side which that is where the fibrin clot is but thank you for i feel much relieved so thanks again for your post
I hope this is what I have too. I had my implant a few days ago and also have a white (what seems like wet scar tissue) over the sort where the implant was it in...I'm worried. It doesn't hurt but feels ver slimey when my tongue touches it!?