Dental Health Expert Forum
wisdom tooth removed now feels like lockjaw!!

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I had my wisdom tooth removed and now i can not open my jaw. Not even to eat! What could have gone wrong? and what should i do? I'm very hungry and its been 3 days like this.
It may be that the jaw or muscles that open your mouth are traumatized by the extractions.  Try to take pain medication, ice/warm pack the muscles and try to stretch it out from time to time.  Also, let your doctor know in case its an infection and antibiotics are needed.  Try to go on a soft or liquid diet and your opening should increase gradually but it may take up to several weeks to fully open again.
I',m using a mouth opener well that's what it looks like.
Thank you the info was very helpful.
When I was about 18, I went months and months like that, unable to open my mouth, and the doctors insisted it was muscle spasm. When I didn't respond to treatment, they decided it was psychological. My mother finally yanked me home from college and took me to her GP who only needed one look to determine that my jaw had been dislocated.
Hi there have you had any luck with opening your jaw?? I'm going through the same thing!! I had 4 wisdom teeth out 1 week ago and just a little worried!
A related discussion, trismus after wisdom teeth was started.