After Effexor withdrawal - what is safe alternative for a "safer" anti-depressant
I am just about at the end of my effexor withdrawal and this is how I did it (according to the pharmacist):  She said to taper down for 3 weeks to a month.  I was taking 37.5 ER every day, then switched to 37.5mg (not extended relief).  Then cut one pill in half and took it every other day for a week, then every third day for 2 weeks, and now after a month I feel its safe to say that I took my last pill finally - yippee!!!  Unless the brain zaps and nauseau get unbearable again.  What I took to ease the pain of the brain zaps, nauseau and mood swings is this:  Clonezepam .05 mg, B12 and Fish Oil supplements, and dark chocolate always heps me with mood swings.  I saw on another post that an RX for Promethazine gel to rub on my wrists will help the nauseau.  Certainly worth a shot since I am also taking a weekly dose of Methotrexate because I also have System Lupus.

So my question is this:  Is Citalopram a safe anti-depressant to start after the effexor withdrawal nightmare and when?
I stopped Effexor and started taking Celexa the next day and had no problems with it at all.  I am actually thinking of going back on the Effexor.  Why did you stop taking the Effexor?
I stopped taking Effexor because it was so expensive and I don't have health insurance anymore.  I also started taking Celexa and so far so good!  Plus it is a lot cheaper!
For treating depression there is a drug called mirtazapine (also called Zispin by one company) which having tried many different anti-depressants over the years I have found effective.  It also is nowhere near as addictive as some other anti depressants or benzos (valium, xanax and all that crap).  I'm not sure if it's available where you live but I can't recomend it highly enough.  Even whilst on meds for other conditions, mirtazapine has enabled me to function normally and get back to working hard.  Good luck whatever the outcome.  Dr's just don't understand sometimes how tough it is to deal with anti depressant/anxiety medication.  Very best wishes Mark_e_la.