Depression Community
Combination of Alcohol & medication

A community of people suffering from Depression to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, counseling, and other management.

Combination of Alcohol & medication

I am concerned about how bad the following combination is:

Nadolol + Zoloft + Alcohol

I have been prescribed Nadolol for migraines, Zoloft for anxiety/depression and I am suppose to take both daily. I have drastically decreased the amount of alcohol consumption I intake compared to how much I consumed when I was younger.

I do like to have a glass of wine or two on the weekends on occasion and I am wondering how bad it is for me considering the medications I am on.

I know it sounds silly and most people are probably thinking "well you shouldnt drink at all" so if you are on medication is it not ok to have an occasional drink?

Insight/comments much appreciated....
I have only taken 3 tablets of the Nadolol and I have been on Zoloft for about  2 months or so. I spoke to my headache specialist again today about the concern of the two medications and he informed me to keep taking them both and that it is rare that these two will have a bad reaction to one another.

I did not mention the alcohol....
I'm not sure about the Nadolol with Alcohol.

I was on Zoloft a long time ago for about 4 year 150mgs a day. At that time I had asked my Psychiatrist if it was dangerous for me to have a couple drinks while taking Zoloft.

He said there was no serious "known" bad or dangerous result from mixing alcohol with Zoloft. He said a couple beers or drinks on occasion should not result in any kind of bad reaction, but to keep my alcohol intake low and not often.

Of corse I didn't listen and got plastered drunk every weekend. (hey I was in my 20's and at that time I felt good because my depression was in a remissive state)

I wouldn't EVER advocate binge drinking with AD medication, I'm just saying that I did for years and I'm still alive.

I would check first about that combo you on, just to be sure no alcohol interaction is present with it.

HEY I TAKE EFFEXOR XR AND XANAX/ATIVAN THE PHARMASIST  SAYS ITS OK TO DRINK IT WONT KILL U JUST INCREASE DROWSINESSS BUT FOR ME IT DONT. I DRINK ALOT AND NOTHING HAPPENS.. IT JUST BAD CAUSE ALCHOLE IS A DOWNER .. I HAVE DEPRESSION BUT NOT THAT BAD. I HAVE SEVERE ANXIETY THO

ID ASK A PHARMASIST I JUST NOE ABOUT EFFEXOR
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
why_are_all_nicknames_taken feels like shit Comment
How Bad Science and Big Business Cr...
17 hrs ago by gymdandee
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time