Depression Community
Esophageal Reflux and Serzone/Nefazodone

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I am taking a very low dose of nefazodone because I'm prone to having serious side effects from most meds, especially anti-depressants. When I increased to 75 mg and then 100 mg, I started to have horrible acid reflux. I'm currently taking Dexilant in combination with Carafate and, as needed Zantac, to try to control the reflux. I'm still experiencing serious discomfort until several hours after taking nefazodone. I think the drug is helping me, and I don't want to have go off it, but I'm not sure what to do.

Has anyone experienced this side effect while taking nefazodone? And, if so, does the reflux abate over time?

I would be most grateful for your feedback.
Diane
I have reflux due to another med, zantac didnt help me enough,Im now on omeprazol after a few days it was much better you have to keep taking it though. Dexilant is over the counter? They often can make it worse over time.lily
Lily,
Thanks very much for your feedback. In answer to your question, Dexilant is only available by prescription. It is relatively new. I've decided to slowly withdraw from nefazadone as my gastric reflux problem is getting increasingly worse. I've decided that I shouldn't have to take three medicines to offset the side effects of one!
Diane
Suggestion:  If the acid refulx doesn't ease up, maybe consider having a baseline endoscopy done.  Esophageal cancer is in my family and after a few years of having acid reflux issues a baseline was done.  Turns out it is BARDS and slight damage has been done.  You want to watch how this progresses and follow up if it doesn't do away with the med changes.  
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have an appointment with my gastroenterologist this week, and I'm expecting her to receommend that I get an endoscopy. Not that I'm thrilled about this, but I don't think I have a choice at this point. I'm just about completely off the nefazodone, and it's helped, but I still have acid.
I appreciate your input.
Diane
Just has an endoscopy done last week. It was no problem (except for what the insurance doesn't cover. lol).  It will give you some reassurance and maybe eliminate a question.  Keep track of what foods you eat and make changes with the recommendation of your doctor and your own notes.  Good luck
10356 commented on 10356's status
19 mins ago
Paxiled commented on Gun Disarm Technique...
Its been a while
6 hrs ago by dragrat
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time