Hair loss and Topamax
I have been prescribed Wellbutrin for depression and Topamax as a mood stabilizer.  The combination worked very well for me and the bonus was that I lost weight.  However, I also lost hair.  I was wondering if anyone else experienced the same problem.
Ive been on topamax since April 2010..ive had all the symptoms on here everyone has talked about..memory loss,confusion,tingling,etc,and my hair loss started a couple months ago but i didnt realize it was so bad until Feb. so i went to my doctor and he did blood work and he said it was my thyroid and it was a little low so he put me on medication for it but i told him i did research on topamax about hair loss and he said he never heard of any with this drug but with another one he has..i almost want to start up a class action lawsuit because their is nothing about hair loss as one of the side effects of this pill..i was put on this pill for migraines/cluster headaches because i get them everyday and i also have to take bc powder on top of that everyday.
I was on Topomax last year, 200mg/day.  I lost 42lbs in 3 months.  I was loving it.  My headaches were gone & I felt good.   I was freaking out about my hair loss as well & both my neurologist & dermatologist said it was due to my drastic weight loss.  I quit taking the Topomax & was put on Amitryptiline (?) and I gained just about all the weight back & didn't like the way it made me feel.  My haid gradually stopped falling out.  It's been almost a year now and i'm back on Topomax.  From what i've been told, take supplements/vitamins & eat right.
THANK GOODNESS I FOUND THIS!! I just started taking Topamax yesterday, because I occasionally get migraines, but honestly it's because I know about the weight loss. I had NO idea about the hair loss! I'm not taking it anymore; God gave me the most fabulous hair - I can't lose it just to lose a few pounds! Thanks for posting everyone!
Hello!  My name is Kimberly and I’m 48 years old.  I have Ankylosing Spondylitis (arthritis of the spinal cord) and have been on metotrexate for over ten years now.  That is a medication that is also used to treat cancer patients and works well on disease arthritis.  I have a lot of American Indian heritage and never suffered the ‘normal’ hair loss that most do while taking methotrexate, which is of course awesome.  

In 2007 I started fainting and developing severe (skullcap) headaches immediately after I recovered from fainting.  I even shattered my elbow in 2008 when I fainted on my tile foyer in the middle of the day for no known reason.  Like most of us I shrugged off my fainting spells for various reasons.  Then in 2008 I started losing my hair (eyelashes and eyebrows too).  At that time my hair was at my waist and so thick I could only wrap a ponytail holder around it once and that was hard.  I became so concerned and thought that I may have developed Lupus or something, so I collected the hair that I lost in a day in a sandwich bang and then the hair that I lost in a week in another bag.  I took my evidence (lol) to my rheumatologist and he said that he did not need me to show him because he could see it with his own eyes but he had no answer as to why.  

Part of my treatment for spinal arthritis is cervical/lumbar steroid epidurals.  However, in October of 2010 the anesthesiologist refused to put me under for the procedure because my blood pressure was crazy high-- That too was a new and troublesome symptom.  To receive the necessary treatment for my arthritis I had to be cleared by two different cardiologists and it took five months, I had a tilt test for “POTS Syndrome” I was tested for diabetes, etc.  Nothing seemed to explain my fainting or my extreme hair loss/weight loss.  My rheumatologist had/has me on the maximum amount of FOLIC ACID to offset the hair loss but it didn’t stopping the hair loss BUT CAUSES TONS OF NEW GROWTH.  I was finally approved for my steroid epidurals and had those procedures which help my mobility in my neck and my hips tremendously.  Because of the fainting I had not been driving but decided that since I had been cleared by two different cardiologists that surly I could take a short drive and have my hair colored and styled.  Bad idea… I took a short drive had my hair done, it took three hours.  By the end of the visit I started feeling very weird and knew that I needed to get home fast.  I should have never left the salon because I got about two miles away and started to faint.  I was able to get off the road and call my husband before I passed out.  Thankfully, no one was hurt.  After that incident the doctors started taking my fainting issue very seriously and submitted my case to UT Southwestern/St. Paul Medical Center in Dallas, Tx.  After they reviewed my case they accepted me and I now have a team of brilliant doctors working on my case.  After a lot of neurological and endocrinology testing they have come up with the diagnosis of:
INTRACTABLE MIGRAINES WITH AN AURA OF FAINTING.  I had no idea and had attributed my severe headaches to my cervical arthritis.  Of course they immediate put me on Topamax and I’ve been taking 100 mg. since May 2011.  Because I’m already a thin person and never been over weight my neurologist warned me about the weight loss associated with this medication and said that if I lost more than five pounds I would not be able to continue with the medication.  I’m desperate to stop these migraines and get on with my life and will do whatever I can to treat this condition.  

This is going to sound crazy to all of you from what I have read… I’ve actually stopped losing my hair since I’ve been taking Topamax!  Go figure?!  Simply because I have forced myself to eat health (well-balanced) meals three times a day.  Whereas, before Topamax I ate almost nothing due to the pain I was suffering through so many migraines and severe arthritis pain I was basically unable to eat.  I would eat two bites or half of a Cliff bar for breakfast and the other half for dinner because of the vomiting from pain.  Therefore, I had lost about 40 plus pounds and was suffering severe leg cramping (charlie horses), weakness AND HAIR LOSS from being malnutrition.  However to look at me you would never have known that my body was not properly fed.  In fact people always tell me they don’t believe that I’m the age that I am.  Obviously, I have not been on Topamax long enough to know if the medication is going to work for me and the side effects are dreadful indeed.  But my brilliant neurologist has told me that those it works for say it’s a God send so I’m willing to see if I may be one of the blessed ones.

If you’re losing hair and have lost a lot of weight fast: Consider that that may be the cause of your hair loss.  Prescription folic acid is the best treatment to offset hair loss.  If you don’t have a doctor that will prescribe it you can buy it over the counter, just take more than suggested.  For those of you that may have taken it while you were pregnant remember how your hair and nails grew like crazy?  Yep, it works!  Remember that knowledge is power.  Good luck to all of you and I truly understand that if you don’t have your health you don’t have anything.  God bless.
I started reading this thread because my doctor suggested I try Topamax for weight loss. So glad I did because I can't risk losing more hair (it is already very thin), so will not try the drug. Just wanted to pass on some info that might be helpful to the migraine sufferers here. I used to get migraines fairly frequently and a friend told me she had had success eradicating her migraines by using vitamin B complex. I started using a good quality Stress B Complex (as directed on the label) and it dramatically cut back on my migraines. I rarely get them anymore.
I have read many of the above mentioned posts regarding hair loss and I wanted to share the little bit of info I have gained going thru rapid weight loss with my wife. She got with a weight loss system and lost 48 pounds in 14 weeks. Man she was looking good and feeling great. After about three months she started noticing that her hair was shedding at a rate much faster than normal. This continued on. She got to her goal weight over the next month and had lost 62 in just over 5 months. Hair loss has now become a major concern to her and therefore me. What we have found is the body needs a certain amount of calories just to maintain normal body functions. When the body is starved of the calories it needs it will not assign the available calories to hair growth. The problem with this is that the hair growth cycle takes about 3 months for the shedding to start being noticed, then another 3 months for the increased calorie intake to reset the hair growth. People are always shedding 10% of your hair. So for most people the hair growth will return but you need to make sure that you are taking in an healthy amount of calories. People think that the less you intake the better off you will be. You are actually starving your body and shocking you system. 1100 to 1200 will lose weight for you and your chances of side effects will be much less than consuming less than 800 calories a day. We wish we were informed about the side effects of the rapid weight loss and we would have chosen to go about the weight loss slower. The whole thing with the weight loss is that you have to change the way you think about food and make lifestyle changes, or it will come right back on. My wife is now coaching other people who need a system and guidelines to making a weight loss goal attainable. It has changed my wife's life and attitude. She went from a size 14 to a size 8. Went from a constant state of being mildly depressed to now being silly and carefree. I can say that she has been free from the bondage of weight for over the last 14 months. God bless. Weight loss is possible. ( she had tried most of the "name brand" diets only to lose some and gain it right back because they didnt really break the addictions to carbs and sugars and only left her feeling deprived ). I know for many here this post will be too late but hopefully you will understand what may be causing your hair loss. If you or anyone else needs some help with weight loss dont hesitate to email.
I only take 75 mgs a day and my hair still is falling out like crazy.I think the best solution is to simply stop taking it and find another solution for my nerve pain.
I too can see my scalp but thought I was just going to be another half bald old lady one day...didn't know why.  Now I do.  PLUS my doctor just increased my Topamax from 100mg twice daily to 200mg twice daily and this is for migraine prevention, and probably also depression related issued (?).  I am 5'9" and my weight initially fell to 108 but is now 133 thankfully, but I am afraid I'll battle the weight loss again.  Ensure helps!  I'm 63 & have taken it since having an episode of transient binocular blindness one morning--pretty scary!  Since stroke was ruled out, & I have migraines it had to have been that they said.  I hate this medicine, but I'd hate going blind driving 70 mph too, so what can you do?  I am puzzled why doc made such a huge increase in dosage, and also didn't titrate it...just doubled it-wham!  But we have to trust their knowlege, right?  (I'm researching it as best I can on my own-it's MY body afterall).  Good luck everyone!
Are your still off Top? I like your post as I have been reading them ALL all morning and yours sounds closest to mine.  Although I never see any replys or answers to any of these questions.  So, I may not see this one:(  Just trying it out...thanks
kk
I have been reading this entire thread all morning!  Thanks you ALL so much!  I have been on Topamax for six YEARS and it stops today!  I have always had hair loss but it began to get much worse this past year.  Because I hadn't started or changed any meds I just couldnt put a finger on it.  My doctor suggested that it was the Top and I said but I have been on it for years.  He said that things change over the years (with me I suppose)  I am on it for "mood disorder".  I think that can be controlled with Wellbutrin and Buspar (if any of you haven't heard of that one you should REALLY look into it!)  So, thanks to all of you I am so looking forward to hoping my hair grows back and also that I can finish a sentence once in a while! lol I will check back in soon....
i took topamaz about 3 years ago (for 6mths) and then stopped for a year. my migraines started coming back so i started taking it again. started out with just 25mg a day. it worked fine for a while then i had to up the dosage to 50mg a day. just recently i had to up my dosage to 75mg per day after being on it for a year and half straight. it wasn't until i got to 75mg per day that i noticed weight loss and it wasn't until after this weight loss (approx 15lbs) that i noticed my hair coming out like crazy. i tried going back to 50mg per day but my migraines are there. i gotta get off this stuff. it works for the migraines but nothing is worth losing my hair.
I just started on 100 mg 2 months ago..I have lost 15 pounds but the hair loss is what is worrying me, does the hair come back once you discontinue the medication??? Please let me know ASAP...
I was taking topamax as well for my migraines. I lost 32lbs! great! but my hair started falling out bad! so my doc Just switched my meds to Verapamil. I just did some research and it can cause hair loss as well!
I took topamax for several years with no problems for migraines, then out of the blue  I started having hair loss, I lowered my dosage..it didn't help..then stopped completely..still didn't help. It has been over FIVE years since I have even touched a topamax and still every year I go through months of hair loss. I have very thin hair to begin with, so I am now showing bald areas. Topamax causes reoccuring alopecia..some people never have the hair loss again after they stop or for numerous years..others have it like I do off and on all the time and the more times the hair falls out the less likely it is to grow back..which is exactly what I'm seeing. This is INSANE and not right at all!!! Topamax lists hair loss as a "least likely" side effect..yeah right!! not from what I see from people, but yet when I went to numerous doctors they wouldn't even consider it as the problem because of topamax stating that...I had to research it and diagnose myself..I would stop taking it and then try a small dose one day and magically enough  more than normal massive hair loss followed. Some people have even lost all their hair. I am in my thirties and I don't believe I should have to live like this..and it cost a fortune for all the hair loss products to even try to save my hair..I will have to do this the rest of my life. I believe this company needs to warn people about this and not state it as a "least likely" side effect because it's not..people need to know what they are getting into..it will cost you the rest of your life to take this medication..it's not worth it! Good luck to all of you who are dealing with this..I really feel for you...I have been so depressed since all of this and can't stand to go out in public anymore! And to all of you considering taking topamax....DON'T...PLEASE!!! And if anyone is interested in filing a law suit and getting something done about this medication..I would be more than willing to do the leg work and get it started. Anyone can reach me at ***@**** free to write. I wish the bst for all of you..I know what a nightmare this can be!!
I just started taking topamax and my hair has always come out in clumps, but grows back just as quick, ok if my hair does fall out with this drug I'll wear a wig anything is better than the migraines right? I'm on 50mg just now and will eventually get to 200mg. I this the hair loss is more to do with diet and nutrient rather than the drug itself but who knows I will let you all know as I'm going to take suppliments also
Get off the drug topamax it is a Horror!!!! The hair loss is unbelievable. I have been on this drug for PTSD and I am taking myself off it. I have been with this medication for 2 years and have NO hair so I am saving what I have left. So good luck to everyone who reads this post but find another drug,and speak with your doctor because you are your own advocate. Good Luck.
I have been on topamax for about a year now and am on 100mg once a day at bedtime.  I started out the medicine for my migraines and let me tell you it was a miracle drug for me.  I have suffered with migraines for 17yrs and this was the first time that I went weeks without a migraine and then when I had one it was very mild and very short.  I have always had thin hair but had massive amounts of it and it always grew super fast and I have always shed but my hair grew so fast that I never worried about the shedding.  About 2 months ago I started noticing that my hair was shedding more than usual the shower drain had to be cleaned out more frequently, the brush had to be cleaned out more often, the wayward hairs were all over the place just more than usual. Then about a month ago I realized it was truly to the point of almost falling out to were I was afraid to brush it, take a shower everyday like I usually do.  So I started researching and what do I find - topamax and hair loss.  I am genuinely freaked out.  I am ecstatic about the relief from the migraines but not to the point of losing my hair and having the stress of the hair loss from this medicine.  I just went to the salon today and cut almost 8 inches of hair off so that I would have more body and texture and to help with the hair loss.  I have an apt with my nuero next month and I will be taking myself off of topamax and looking for an alternative solution for treatment/management of my migraines.  I hope the best for everyone that is suffering with this issue because I truly feel your anxiety and pain.  I didnt think I was a vain person but when I started losing my hair like I am now I feel like I am losing a part of myself, a piece of my identity.

I think the best piece of advise I read on here is that for all of us experiencing this issue is to call the manufacturers of this medicine and report to them our side effects so that it gets reported and they can report this and more people can be informed. Also take your supplements and listen to your body and dont let anyone talk you out of something if you dont feel this medicine is right for you!!  Good luck to everyone...
Don't take the stuff... I wasn't over weight, and didn't lose a whole lot, only 10 lbs.  But my hair is falling out like crazy and I take vitamins like crazy and I'm one of the most healthiest eaters I know.  What ever you do if you want to keep your hair don't take this medicine. There are better ones out there...
I've been researching my hair loss.  I was on Topomax for about 6 mos.  Didn't notice the hair loss until about 3 months into.  I quit at 6 mos. due to the feeling of bugs crawling all over me.  The hair loss has continued now for 4 months since stopping.  I have lost about 1/3 of my hair.  Had to cut it all off short because it was see thru and the tiniest pony tail ever.  I'm devastated and embarrassed.  I'm hoping to hear back from you that your hair is ok now or any help what so ever!
Traci
I've been on Topomax for a year and 2 months now and have worked up to 300 mgs a day divided into 2 doses.. When I was taking 200 mgs. a day I experienced no hair loss but when I was moved up to 300 mgs. my hair began to fall out tremendously and still is. I have always had very thin, fine hair. I'm a hairdresser and knew immediately my hair loss wasn't normal and brought it to the attention of my nuerologist but he told me it wasn't because of my Tpopmax-had it been the drug it would have happened straight away after first beginning the medication. I don't think I believe him. I fully trust my doc about my seizure condition and the need for the meds in general, but I don't think he's being up front about the drug because I think he feels I'll demand to be taken off the drug due to the side affect if he levels with me. Girls...it's the dope! You girls can change meds I think...surely there are other meds that will be as efficient for migraines and weight loss, but what can I do for my seizures? This drug is working wonders where nothing else was???? I'm truly concerned for my condition but I would really like to keep what little hair I have left if you know what I mean! HELP!?!?!?!
This drug just may not be worth taking.  I stopped taking it about a month ago.  Had some side effects from going off of it (night sweats, frequent urination at night).  I lost a considerable amout of hair about a yr ago and until now did not know why.  I am most positve it was from the topamax or losing a few pds.  I weighed about 125 before and now weigh 112.  I was on it for about 5 yrs.  This drug has alot of side effects but it worked while I needed it.  I was treated for PTSD with this drug.

Shannon
I to am on Topamax I am on 400mg and my hair has been just falling out. My boyfriend gets mad at me for all the hair in the drain at the bottom of the shower. I didn't know this was a side effect either. I've lost 54 pounds but I've also lost a lot of hair as well so I don't even know if it was even worth it now. My hair is all thinned out and I am afraid that I am gonna be bald I just had my boyfriend check my head and he kept telling me it was my medicine I kept telling him no it couldnt be because i never seen that as a side effect, so I just got on the internect and found this. Thanks everyone I think I am gonna just stop taking and have my doctor change the meds to something different she also has me on wellbutrin as well.
I am so sad that I did not know this before.  I experienced gradual hair loss since 2005 and have been on Topo all that time.  It helped my migraines.  When I started menopause, my hair began to fall out the last month in clumps.  i will not have have hair by the end of the year if I cannot get it to stop.  I am reducing the topo slowly.  I am taking Evening Primrose, Biotin, Rogaine, switched to Aveda hair propducts.  I was known for my lush hair.  No I just look old, tired and sad.    I am really mad that I did not know this was a side effect.  My hairdresser did not even let me know how bad it was getting (hard to see on yourself).  It was not until the clumps came out in the shower that I saw it was serious.
I have been on the Topo for 3 months after seizures.  My hair is falling out in lumps in the shower and when I take it out of my pony-tail.  Yesterday when taking my towels out of the dryer there was a hugs mass of hair wadded in the towels and the dryer lint.  I just called my doctors and left a message as what to do??  I have to be on this drug for at least 6 more months for the seizure prevention but I don't want to loose any more hair because I like my hair!  I lost weight in the beginning but I am now maintaining my weight.  I looked up other anit-seizure medications and they too have hair-loss as a possible symptom from taking the drug.  You take one drug, then have another problem, take more drugs, have another issue and more problems.  Good luck everyone.  I don't shave my legs or arm pits but that hair seems to be staying in place; my husband wonders why at least we can laugh about that together.  
Thank you to everyone in this forum for helping me make my decision. My doctor told me to stop taking it cold turkey today after I called in hysterics. I was still a bit scared because of other meds I have been on. I am stopping cold turkey tonight as I believe him now because of this forum,and no place else.
My hair thanks you,
-A.V.
That is terrible, I'm having the same problem please let me know if you are getting better, I'm still taking the medicine, but Im thinking seriously stop it.
I took topamax for 6 days ( 6 freaking days) and started to lose so much hair. I was only on 25 mg. I knew about the possible side effects before taking it but decided I would give it a shot. On the 6th day in the shower my hair started coming out by the root even more when I brushed my hair. It freaked me out and I quit taking the medicine right away. The hair loss continued for about 2 months. Every time I washed my hair I would want to cry ! Thank God it has finally stopped. I will probably never take this medicine again.
I took Topomax for about 4 weeks for Migraines. Which it did it's job. Unfortunately I started to lose my thick hair and I was dropping weight ALOT (A side effect I wasn't hoping for) All in all in about 2 weeks I lost 15 lbs and by the time I stopped taking it I had lost 25.  After I stopped, I read that taking Biotin (5000mcg), selenium, zinc, and folic acid would combat the hair loss along with eating lots of protein and drinking a lot of water. I started this regimen right after I got off, my hair loss stopped immediately. Part of me wants to try Topomax again with this staunch regimen but I think I'll hold off
I started taking topamax 3 months ago for seizures I weighed 110lbs was 11% body fat looked the best i had ever looked in my life after having three kids. No seizures with the topamax but the side effects are horrible if i would of known all the horrible side effects and read up on these sites before starting this drug i would of never stared it. I would rather have a grandmal every couple weeks then the nasty side effects i lost 10lbs i cant work out anymore i am losing all my hair feels like i have pins and needles in my feet i have difficulty concentrating or paying attention i had to start taking a nausea medication just to be on topamax loss of appetite i have diarrhea memory loss anxiety my gums swell i got increase of acne all these side effects are not worth not it wish someone would of told me before i started taking it best of luck to you.  I even tried taking weight gainer shakes and vitamins biotin and fish oil and didn't help my hair loss or my weight really think about it before you start taking it or ask about other drugs that are available with less side effects I went to the Dr. yesterday and begged them to take me off i could not take it anymore. Best of luck to you I am 33 and have had seizures since i was 12 this is the longest i have ever went without having seizures is using topamax but again the side effects are just not worth it i have never had a drivers license and thinking i might have been able to get one staying on topamax still was not worth it to me.
I mentioned this in my post on Topamax, but I've been on it for 3 years and take 150mg and I used to have very thick hair and last summer my stepmom commented on how thin my hair had gotten, but there are not bald spots and had she not mentioned it I really wouldnt have noticed it.

The topamax combiined with my 60mg of Paxi and other medications have been wonderful and I have  no plan to get off of it unless I have to because I'm unsure if my hair thinning is due to genetics or my thyroid or if it is iin fact the time on Topamax. Sorry I can't be more help.
I was on topamax for a year and I started noticing more and more hair falling out. It has been a year an I take evening primrose oil and skin, hair, nails vitamins, calcium, d, b12 and e and c. My hairdresser to have stopped falling out. My hairline went back and my scalp (temple area) is thinner than the rest of my head. I have been adding castor oil to my leave in conditioner and it seems to be helping. Castor oil thickens your hair and helps it grow. There are several you tube videos. I add it to my conditioner twice a week. It also leaves my hair healthy and shiny looking
hi! i am just like you!!! and i am desperate now :(
did you get off the topamax?
how long did you take it after your hair started falling out? thanx
I take one 25mg pill of topiramate a day for migraines , I noticed hair lose only 3 weeks into taking the med. It comes out when I am just moving my hair out of my face, I use a colm it comes out in gobbs, take a showers I can feel it just running down my back and seeing it going into the drain. I hate when I am washing my hair and I get hands filled with it. It is bad. I was never told about any side effects on the meds like this. Side effects I have a are Hair loss, Tingling of hands and fingers, tiredness alot, mood swings at times. Granted no more migraines. My next appointment is soon and I am gonna see how I need to go off these meds cause. After 1.5 years on them it is time to see if I truly even need them anymore. And I have heard from others there can be bad side effects going off them as well.
Absolutely NOT!  I wish I could tell you otherwise but I have been on 125mg of Topamax for years, 5000mg of Biotin daily and fish oil supplements and even after 3 months of being off the Topamax I'm still losing hair. I have come to the conclusion that if I'm going to be bald with multiple hospitalizations due to out of control migraines then I prefer to to deal with hair loss and minimals migraines.
I am currently on 100 mg of Topamax, I take 50 mg in the morning and 50 mg at night.  I am 42 years old, and I have been taking it for two years.  At first, I didn't notice any hair loss, just a foggy brain (initially I was on 75 mg in the morning, so I dropped 25 mg, with my Doctor's permission).  The brain fog went away, but I still have memory loss, a compromised immune system (more colds this year that I usually get) and I drop a lot of items on the floor.  I also have a ton of hair loss.  I have chin length hair, and gobs of it comes out in the shower, as well as when I put my styling products in (Mousse).  I am going to talk to my Doctor about getting off this medication.  I take it for migraines.  It used to take me 20 minutes to blow dry my hair, it was so thick, now it takes just 5 minutes.  Also, I have not lost a single pound on this medication.  I am 5'8" and weigh 140 lbs.  I eat very healthy, lots of fruits, veggies, protein, vitamins,  and very little sugar and carbs.  I know that all this hair loss I am experiencing is absolutely a side effect of the medication, as this is the only medication I am on, and I had no hair loss before starting this.  I wish I had known that this was a side effect.  It sure has been a wake-up call for me to better inform myself as a patient. In the future when I take medications, I will research they thoroughly.  I wish everyone the best of luck, as they search for answers and solutions.  
Have you stopped taking the topamax now?  Have you noticed your hair falling out? I am on 300 mg a day and my hair is falling out like crazy. I have a bald patch showing in the front. I am devastated! Can't figure it out except for this medication.  Let me know please.  Thanks!
I am also on 100mg.  I was also put on it for migraines several months ago.  Last week I had one of the worst migraines of my life.  Aside from the I cannot focus well on my work, am occasionally aphasic, am forgetful and recently realized my hair is coming out from the roots.
That's it.  I have had it.  My hair is blonde and baby fine anyway. I can ill afford to lose more.
I have lost 20lbs total slowly.  I may not keep it off.  But this med is not working well enough to ruin my life.  I am going to start backing it down as of today to 50 in the morning and 25mg at night.  Then 25mg and 25.  Then the last week 25mg only.  Then none.  
This is my third week on Topamax. I read about the side effect of hair loss. I already have fine, thin hair, so I started taking Biotin and Selenium and using Nioxin for thin hair before I started on the Topamax. So far, it has worked and I'm not losing any hair. Maybe you can try that. See if it works for you.
HI ive been taking 75 mg of topamax for over 3 yrs and I had really really thick hair as well and was told my hair loss was due to my 3rd stage kidney disease then when I got diabetes that it was due to that. Now im getting really bad bouts of vertigo was well and I think it due to Topamax as well. So I just emailed my Dr. that I want to get off it ASAP.
I'm 53  and am on 100 mg. of Topamax daily.  I also had thick hair all my life up until about 5 years ago when I was pre-menopausal. I began losing hair slowly and friends started noticing bald spots on top of my head.  I was horrified!  So I totally relate to all of you ladies!  
I was not on Topamax at that time of any other drug that caused this.  I know genetically my grandmother and mother had thinning hair later in their lives.  Bummer.  I also am a type A personality and stress a lot.  I didn't eat right.   Didn't take many vitamins.  Don't get me wrong, but I' ve been seeing a dermatologist for this hair loss for years now.  He's done blood tests for everything from thyroid (negative), to lupus (which also can cause hair loss) and nothing but genetic and post-menopausal issues are to blame.  It happens with age ladies.  I'm trying to take lots of vitamins, like everybody is saying, biotin, prenatal multis, B-6, etc., eat well, protein, get a GOOD haircut and color to accentuate the positive, and do what we can.  I'm so sorry for the younger girls, especially.  It's hard enough on us ladies who are stuggling when we're a littler older  Good luck everybody....
How do you use the oil?
I have been on 200mg a day, 100 am and 100 pm, for a year and have not had any hair loss. Do you think it is the amount of Mg that you are on that is making you loose your hair? I have noticed on here that most people that say they are on 300 or 400mg. Im nervous to loose my hair and I'm wondering if i should stop the medication. Would I have had hair loss already?
I just recently went off Topomax cold turkey because I was noticing hair loss.  I was on it for a little over a year taking 50mg 2x a day.  My migraines have been manageable.  I take motrin 600mg at onset of a headache and it goes away fast.  As for the hair loss, I am not taking 15000mcg biotin in addition to a woman's multi vitamin and extra vitamin e and Co q10.  I'm hoping my hair will be restored!
If you are loosing your hair day by day and want to ocontrol the hair fall. Then groei360 is the best product for you to prevent hair fall. You can go through the online review of groei360 and know more about its benefit.
Hi, folks,

Since this thread is old and the original participants are no longer taking part, we'll close it now.  If you'd like to ask a question or start a new thread, please click the "Post a Question" button near the top of this page.  Thanks!

Claire
______________________________________________________

******** CLOSED DISCUSSION ********

No more comments, please.
hi i went off topomax 200 mg cold turkey. bad idea. i regained the 50 lbs in a short time ): hair is thicker though
Hair loss with Topamax or Topiramate.. Yes, it is true.  I have been on it for almost 10 years now.  I was taking 150 mg daily for migraines and now I am down to 100 mg.  When my hair started to fall out, my doctor put me on PRENATAL VITAMINS & it REALLY helped.  I wanted to post this for all the others out there who need to take this drug but struggle with the hair loss.  I am currently trying to get off Topamax as I search out other alternatives like taking Magnesium & B2.  PS- I do have Zomig when things get really bad & it's been a life saver!  I also keep the ice pack AND heating pad ready at ALL times.  Ice for my head and heat for my neck and shoulders.  Hope that helps.
Wow ten years is a very long time to be on topamax...I wonder are you still on this drug? As I just came upon your post. I am on this drug and have been on it since 2014, my doctor has currently upped my dosage to 150 mgs. I to have experienced all the usual symptoms listed weight loss and hair loss, at first my doctor would not even consider hair loss a side effect of the drug, regardless I am depressed and don't know what I should do moving forward. Should I continue to take the drug or stop it altogether. It does work for me and when they get bad I have zomig. How have you been able to hold it together for 10 years? Maria
Does anyone have any information from the manufacturer about what happens during use of Topamax that causes hair loss?
Idk if anyone looks at this blog anymore but I hope so. I only just turned 18 and have lost up to half my hair. My hair was so thick that hair ties couldn't even hold it up. I've been on topamax for epilepsy for I think 5 years. I've gone to tons of doctors and no one had an answers for me. I got a biopsy which came back as telogen effluvium, so I thought it would stop but it just kept going. I noticed the hair loss like 4 years after being on it which didn't make any sense to me but all the bloodwork and tests j have been getting done were coming back negative. 2 weeks ago I got off the topamax and went strait to zonogram. My hair is falling out like crazy it won't stop, I don't know how I have any hair Left! I'm only 18 and I don't want to deal and worry about wearing wigs or using special hair products for the rest of my life. Can someone help!!! It's not coming out any less after being off of it for two weeks, how long does it take to get out of my system? Or will it ever stop
i took 25mg of topamax for 8 days, ive lost 50 percent of my hair. i stopped 2 weeks ago and im still losing loads, my scalp is so sore and burning too. anybody have any ideas
I was on Topamax for migraines for 2 years and noticed considerable hair loss.  Fortunately, after I stopped taking it, my hair did grow back.  One year later, and my hair has returned to its thick-self.  Sadly, the migraines have returned as well.