Depression Community
Lexapro side effects

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Lexapro side effects

I have been taking Lexapro for about 6 yrs.  I started at 10 mg and increased to 20 mg about 1 1/2 yrs ago.  The side effects from taking Lexapro are becoming intolerable.  I have had severe weight gain, sweating, abdominal discomfort, memory "forgetfulness", absolutely no sex drive, muscle cramps, and the list goes on.  The most troublesome effect is a feeling of, well, of NO feelings.  I feel like a zombie = no feelings of sadness or joy, no lows or highs, to the extent that I wonder if I've lost my capacity to feel emotions anymore.  
I tried weaning myself off of Lexapro and the side effects have been horrifying.  Brain zaps, crying spells, mood swings, insomnia (which, by the way, I experienced while taking Lexapro), stomach ailments, etc.  
I have an appointment with my doctor 3/12 to talk about coming off Lexapro without suffering the side effects.  Does anyone know of natural supplements to help with withdrawal symptoms, or any experience in withdrawing succesfully without too many side effects?
Hi.. I know exactly what you are going through.. same with with me although I was only on the 20 for a few months.  I was a zombie also, gained weight all that.  That's why I came back down to 10.  I was on 10 for 4+ years.  Now I don't take any pill and feel better than I did taking that junk.
I took 5 for 2 weeks and then stopped.  I had brain zaps, dizzy, nausious but it didn't last very long!  
Sorry I don't have any advice for a supplement but I just wanted to respond!  
You can do this :)
When I came off lexapro I was starting onto paxil so I couldnt
tell which was startup side effects and which were withdrawal.
While I was on lexapro though I have horrible stomach cramps
and my blood pressure was through the roof!

best wishes,
starr28

best wishes,
starr28
Hi, I am too experiences horrific effects from coming off 20mg Lexapro.  But I can't take all the side effects anymore.  I wish I knew what to do to stop the vertigo/dizziness but the only thing I can find on internet (but havent' tried yet) is a motion sickness tablet that contains a vestibular suppressant.  Only thing I wanted to mention is that a friend/nutritionist has suggested I take SamE as an alternative to the Lexapro.  It's totally natural and can be brought at health food stores and is actually a prescription anti-depressant in europe.  I have just started taking it as you have to wait a few days after totally stopping the Lexapro but supposedly it's meant to lift your mood etc without the side effects of anti-depressants.  I think anything is worth a go but until I can walk 5m without thinking i'm falling I haven't experienced an up!  Hope it helps.
Thanks for all the responses - it helps to know I'm not the only one experiencing this ****.  I went to my doctor yesterday and told him about the withdrawals I had when I stopped taking Lexapro.  I almost fell out of my chair when he told me he had never heard of 'brain zaps', and that since Lexapro left the system in three days, the symptoms I had couldn't be from withdrawing from Lexapro!  So, I guess I'm on my own with this one.  I'm taking the remaining 4 5mg I have and try suffering through the withdrawals.  I'm also looking for another doctor :).
Good idea on the new doctor!  Brain zaps are very common antidepressant
withdrawal symptons and you would think your doc would know that!

best wishes,
starr28
Avatar n tn
I was on Lexapro for 8 months and decided it also made me feel like a "zombie", so Dr. told me to "taper off"  so I could go on another medication.  I took my dosage from 10mg to zero in one month.  That seemed like a reasonable time; however, it wasn't for me.  I started having horrible withdrawal effects:  anxiety, nausea, stomache problems, irritability and brain zaps.....not to mention the zaps going down my arms...almost like they were burning inside!  I have been told since that I should have tapered much more slowly.  I should have read the internet before I took my doctor's advise.  Everyone is different, so caution is the operative word here.  I am still have horrible symtoms (symptoms) after ONE month of discontinuance.   Beware!
Emily_MHModerator Survey link - https://goo.g... Comment
clean_in_ks commented on No Cirrhosis of the L...
opus88 commented on No Cirrhosis of the L...
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time