Depression Community
Life at 25

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Life at 25

Well... For a few years I don't think I've been myself... Leading me to think that I don't know myself. I know I like some things, but otherwise, I'm a pushover. I'm also 25 years old... I feel like this is what being 25 is.  I just moved away from "home" to a place that I know I will eventually LOVE, but so far hate. I know no one. I am a social person when I feel ok... overly friendly (small town girl type) when I really feel good.. But I don't know where to be social.. So.  I stuck my neck out and opted for some psychotherapy. I lucked out. He's fabulous. He also recommended a GP that I might absolutely love more than the one I compared the rest to.. I feel like either my depression leads to anxiety or my anxiety leads to depression. Whatever it is, it *****. I have a strong family history of depression and anxiety... and I'm trying to prevent my child from seeing what all I went through as a child.  I don't have kids, but that is my motivation for making myself better. Much less, my marriage is strong and weak... I have an amazing husband who just wants "me" back... I want me back too! I'm so outgoing, daring, smiling, and just plain fun. My goal every day is to make someone else happy. I, unfortunately, take on the stress of others.. A lot has happened in the past year. It's tough. I don't think I ever learned proper coping mechanisms...
And that's my basic story..
But I want to know how many have switched from an SSRI to Wellbutrin? And can you taper down from an SSRI while adding Wellbutrin. They work on different neurotransmitters... Or do you wait until you're done tapering down the SSRI and then start the Wellbutrin?  I (as a typical depressed, anxious person) couldn't focus when the doc told me what to do... And it's the weekend.. so she's not there..I need a little advice. Thanks..  
hum  I am going to my doctor Tuesday because I had wellbutrin added to the paxil I had been taking for years  and seems to be making my depression worse.
Hopefully you will get an answer...you do need to get a doctor's advise. Life isn't too much fun or pleasure for me right now...Good Luck
Im 27 and I have not felt like myself since I was about 21 or so. Life can be hard and having mental health issues is a difficult path to travel. Know you are not alone and that others do feel the same way you do. I also wait for the day I feel like myself again. Its been so long now, I can hardly remember how I used to be when I was whole and feeling like me. Let us know what happens when you visit your doc.
Interesting. I'm also 25. Not quite where I want to be, but trying to take life one day at a time. I'm not sure if I have found "me" yet either. Maybe who we are changes over time and depression does not help one bit....

When I was on welbutrin, my psych was about to have me switch over immediatly, but I waited a week before starting the SSRI.

Right now am trying to coast without a med except an overnight med called Hydroxyz (an anti anxiety med), because the SSRI I tried last time turned out a disaster.
I am now 39 but once went through what many of you are discussing.  I tried wellbutrin and xanax at that time.  I found that these drugs were not allowing me to "find" my old self.  What I found that helped was educating myself about stress, accepting that fact that life is FULL of changes and believe it or not a regimen of vitamin B6, B12 and Magnesium plus exercise helped alot.  The key is to be patient and kind to yourself and accept that there is not a "quick" fix but rather a process or journey.  Life Change is enormous at this age.  I wish you all the best of luck!!
Maybe they're just my growing pains.. Life is getting better... I am actively working to make my life better. Thanks for the responses. I started the Wellbutrin and who knows if it's placebo or not, but life is a little up. (Or its that I bought new boots yesterday) ... So, we'll see. My dad gave me an author he used to read when he was our age, he's an east meets west type guy, Alan Watts (and this was in the 70s). I ordered some books, so we'll see. I'll give it a go. I'd rather go through this now and learn how to handle situations rather than force myself to look past them and crash later in life. Thanks again! Contact me for anything... I'm a helper kind of girl..
Meds help to stabilize your moods but they aren't the cure. Wellb. is good for both symptoms, what are you on now? With your family history it's a good chance it's genetic, so better you are on a med then not.  Have you been on meds previous to the one you are on now? If you had to change your meds quickly, this class of drugs is much better then say Cymblta or Effexor, they can work well for some people, but many have to switch drugs and the withdrawals are nasty.

Do you have a psychiatrist? If you don't you should. A family doctor knows the basics, but a pdoc can tweak meds to find a right combinations. Having talk therapy is extremely important and if you can get into some sort of support group as well, even better!  It works for many people. It's great you have to motivation to get better, that is the first step to wellness. Some drugs like Paxil is commonly known to really dull the senses. You said you are wanting a family, there is one drug that's extremely safe if the first two trimesters called Zoloft. You might want to look at it when you are closer to wanting to conceive. But I would talk with a pdoc first.

Depression turns us into people we don't know, it shuts us down, and people like your husband notices I'm sure that you aren't quite yourself. It's really important you talk to him instead of isolating yourself. Even bring him into a therapist's app't with you and/or get couple's counselling as well. If he's kept in the loop, it may be easier for him to undertand. I hope this helps, keep in touch.
LeftCoastChick
Depression Co-Community Leader
Thanks for your post! My husband is fabulous- he'd do anything for me. We've been waking up at 4am (randomly on his part, for me, I toss and turn..) and have wonderful discussions.. He's open to visiting my therapist as well as psychiatrist... I haven't met my psychiatrist yet- he's highly demanded, but I will in a couple weeks.. I'm on day 3 of Wellbutrin- and maybe it's placebo, but I've gotten more crossed off my list than I have in months. My mom said she didn't have withdrawals from any of her meds- so I'm hoping I don't have any!

And as for the family thing- that is years to come.. I have professional goals I'd like to get to first. I see a baby in my early thirties.. It's the way I've always thought of it..

I'll find me. I have a lot of support. I just want to be the best me there is. Thanks again
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status
1 min ago
Embrace123 commented on 5. CNN article about...
1 hr ago
4Maddie44 commented on photo