Depression Community
Pamelor -

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Pamelor -

Recently was prescribed  Pamelor for depression; was on Citalopram for half a year and I just got worse, sleeping a lot and doing nothing.

Dr advised me to take the mediation at bedtime.  He did not say taper off the previous Rx, just start the new one.  I have not started, as I have been on antidepressants for decades and wanted to see the difference without meds.  I have abit more energy, but cry easily.

I want to understand what Pamelor will do for me... and if I have a cocktail at night, is this dangerous.

amelor
Mixing alcohol with any of these type of meds is dangerous. But everyone I know has 1 or 2 with no problem.
I was on Pamelor for two year before it stopped working. Generic name (Nortriptilyne)
It was a good tri-cyclic antidepressant. It worked pretty good for me, but failed after 2 years even at high dosages.
PLEASE....do not drink heavily while on any of theses medications, it is the most dangerous thing you can do.  It even states this on your prescritpion bottle!  You also should never abruptly stop any of these medications as it can cause serious problems from seizures to death.  Your doctor obviously knew that going from the one to the other was okay, I'm sure he had no idea you would just stop the one and do nothing. You won't ever know when you've drank too much on theses meds, you just won't wake up.....ever!
I must have gotten lucky. I used to drink like a fish when I was taking Pamelor.
Actually I don't think your supposed to drink any alcohol at all with any type of antidepressant.

Even the SSRI's like Zoloft and Celexa say not to drink.
Houdini_girl joined this community
Welcome them!
Bubulous Will return Sep 30th Comment
Sep 25
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time