Depression Community
Should an adolescent be placed on Xanac and Zoloft?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

There is a certain amount of stress that individuals endure in any given time.  Let's face it, stress is in the workplace in our schools in our private lives and in our world.  It is state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or very demanding circumstances.  However, stress and the effects of stress is a subject that has not been thoroughly studied. Even so, prescription drugs are readily available for illnesses that are the product of a stressful environment.  I understand that there are mental illnesses and terminal illnesses that result from an physiological imbalance and those illnesses should be addressed by prescription medicine.  I have a fifteen year old adolescent who was just prescribed Zoloft and Xanax.  My child recently underwent a colonoscopy and endoscopy.  Colonoscopies are usually performed on fifty and older adults.  One of the hospital attendants mentioned how sad and uncanny it is to see an increase in so many adolescents and children receiving the procedure.  FMLA addresses chronic illness thru a 12 week time period in a given year but small scale companies are exempt.  Students are not covered under FMLA and are subject to the multitudes of attendance policies in school districts that sanction loss of credit for state aid purposes.  My child was on antibiotics, recovering from pneumonia while attending school and I requested an ISS to be postponed until the student had fully recovered ( three more days).  The principal denied my request stating that if the student is well enough to attend school...The student is well enough to attend ISS.  I was also told that if I removed the student from school for any amount of time even though the student would return to school...the student would not be allowed to take a state lab makeup.  Adults as well as adolescents and children, who are taking antibiotics, often attend school or work recovering from illness...That does not change the fact that the individual is ill.  The principal's actions clearly indicated that the punishment, policy or practice is more important than the student's health.  School administrators can deny medical scripts for accommodations.  I am retired but it would be interesting to know if these circumstances occur in the work place.  Our society is forced to conform to external, adverse and demanding circumstances thru the aid of prescription drugs that address the symptoms but not the underlying cause.  Prescription drugs are easily attainable and a quick fix in comparison with attaining changes in administrative practices and policies not only in schools but in the work place and in our world.  My adolescent begins Zoloft and Xanax today.  Is this our future or our downfall?                          
I do not understand exactly what You're asking and if You have a question in all of this. I do assume You are speaking of adolescents being put on medication and wondering whether it is the right thing to do for someone of such a Young age. If so I agree with You as I was placed on medication at the age of 11 and have since dealt with the after effects including withdrawals of stopping Years later to which of course I was not warned of at that age or explained about. I believe that there should be another process for younger people regarding treatment rather than medication
Hi~  I never experienced this type of thing in the workplace.  And I think this principal is
taking the rules too far. There are always exceptions...Kids get sick! I know I've had to work with teachers to reschedule exams and presentations  etc...on the few occasions
my daughter was ill. They worked with me without problem...
But,to me,the bigger question is why is a 15 yr old having a colonoscopy,taking Zoloft and Xanax?    If there is a major illness going on here,it is incombent on the school to make adjustments for the child.  But,what's going on with your child???

Vicki
The adolescent has Gerds, IBS, Asthma, Anxiety Disorder, adjusted disorder with depressive moods with increasing symptoms of school related depression.  The colonoscopy was performed to rule out other illness.  The majority of the symptoms and  blood work indicated IBS and there is no family history of colon cancer.  I felt the colonoscopy was unnecessary but the medical professional necessitated it to diagnose IBS.  It is incumbent of the school to make adjustments for the student but how is that accomplished when they deny medical scripts for accommodations and in addition have the sole discretion to decide which chronic illness is justifiable under their attendance policies.  Thanks for the feedback.    
Is she receiving any type of counseling?
There are endless questions pertaining to the subject.  I just wanted feedback on issues that are similar in any way.  You helped me by identifying the dangers associated with adolescents beginning prescription drugs at such an early age.  Thanks.
My child has been in therapy for three years.  I am opposed to administering prescription drugs to adolescents.  However, I cannot change adminstrative policy or practices.  The only other option would be to move out of the district.  Moving will not guarantee that I would not find myself in the same situation in another district.  
Well,it's just wrong in my opinion!  If there's a doctor's note ,that should take priority over any rules or regs. There are always exceptions,especially with kids!   I wouldn't
tolerate this at all.  The principal sounds power crazy and is not well versed enough medically to make this decision.  It's also disriminatory.  I don't know where you live,not that it matters,but where I live,this doesn't happen. I know,at the school my girl just graduated from,there were 3 kids who had some troubles. One developed Guillain-
Barre' Syndrome,another a clotting disorder,and another an allergy to everything!  All
accommodations were made for these kids and everyone helped with keeping their work up to date as much as possible. All was done to decrease the anxiety of missing school
and thus not being able to graduate with their class. It worked beautifully and the kids are fine now.  But,we all worked as a community.  This is why I find your situation an anomoly and blame the principal!      I think making an appt. with the superindendant of the school district is in order.
Sorry to hear of your son's troubles...and this BS sure doesn't help him!

Vicki
You're welcome Meiny. "Sorry" I didn't quite understand it the first time but I do now. Thanks for replying
KTowne commented on zara2010's status
Cricketk92 commented on Cricketk92's status
Cricketk92 Life is good!!! Comment