Depression Community
Xanax and St john's wort?

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Xanax and St john's wort?

Has anyone taken xanax and st johns wort together?
I have taken Xanax before, but never St. Johns wort.

Is this what your taking now?
I take xanax when necessary and was going to start to take st johns wort. I didn't know if anyone has taken the combination together.
I am aware that your not supposed to take St. Johns Wort along with most antidepressant medications. Given that Xanax is totally different than AD medication, it may be ok to take with St. Johns wort.

Just to be on the safe side you may want to do a little research first to ensure there is no adverse interaction between the two.
On Web MD, they say not to take them together because St. John's Wort causes the Xanax to not work due to how it is processed in the liver.  (You may look it up for a more accurate description.)  I had just been taking Xanax as needed, trying not to take it unless necessary.  A doctor gave me SJW from her line of supplements.  It really helped.  Because of it, I rarely need the Xanax.  However, I have taken it on occasion.  It's true, it didn't seem to work as well, but it worked some.  So, my understanding is that it just causes the Xanax to not work as good as usual.
Benefits Of Turmeric In Bursitis
4 hrs ago by gymdandee
Weekend Laughter (NEW Wine for Seni...
4 hrs ago by gymdandee
KTowne, and Belle313 commented on Belle313's status
Sep 29
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time