Depression Community
Zoloft vs. St Johns Wort/Sam-E

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

Zoloft vs. St Johns Wort/Sam-E

I am coming off Setraline (Zoloft generic. Can't believe the cost difference!)  From 150 mg, down to 100 mg for a week, then  to 50 mg for couple weeks, now off it entirely.  The flash dizzy spells are still here after a week drug-free.  Hope that leaves soon.  Other than that, I feel great.  A few angry spells at the beginning, but nothing serious.  My question: I am thinking about starting a St Johns Wort/Sam-E treatment.  All I've heard and read about the combo is positive.  I like the fact that there are no side effects when a person decides to stop taking them.  Anybody have advice and stories about their experiences with these natural depression remedies and how they compare to Zoloft and its ilk?
(SORRY I WRITE IN ALL CAPS, I'M NOT TO GOOD ON A COMPUTER) HI, NAME IS ALICE AND IF THERE IS ANYTHING ON THIS PLANET I KNOW, IT'S DEPRESSION!  10 YEARS GOING STRONG ON IT, MAJOR DEPRESSION EVEN. WHAT A PERK HUNH.  I HAVE READ EVERY BOOK ON DEPRESSION OUT THERE AND STUDIED ENDOCRINOLOGY LIKE CRAZY, CAUSE THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT I WAS, CRAZY.
  SO MY ADVICE, (WITH NO DEGREE OF ANYKIND, JUST ALOT OF SYUDYING) IS YOU ARE ABOUT TO GO FROM A CHEMICAL REACTION TO A NON-CHEMICAL REACTION TO YOUR MIND.  IF YOU ARE STILL DEPRESSED WHILE YOU ARE OFF OF THE ZOLOFT, THEN I SAY NO IT WON'T HELP YOU AT ALL.  DEPRESSION IS A NEUROTRANMITTER DEFECT (FOR A LACK OF A BETTER WORD). MOSTLY IT'S HEREDITARY.  I DON'T KNOW HOW LONG YOU HAVE BEEN DEPRESSED, I HOPE NOT LONG , CAUSE IT'S A VERY DARK AND HORRIBLE PLACE TO BE.  BUT ANYWAY, MY PERSONAL ADVICE, BEING A DEPRESSED PERSON, IS IF YOU CAN HANDLE THINGS WITHOUT THE ZOLOFT DON;T TAKE ANYTHING, THE BRAIN CAN HEAL IT'S SELF. BUT IF YOU NEED HELP WITH LIFE'S STRUGLES JUST A LITTLE, THEN I PROMISE YOU ON MY LIFE THE VERY BEST THING YOU COULD DO FOR YOURSELF IS (AND THIS IS GOING TO SOUND CRAZY, BUT REMEBER I HAVE BEEN STUDYING IT FOR 10 YEARS), IS JOIN A GYM AND STAY DEDICATED , BECAUSE EXERCISE CREATES ENDORPHINS AND THAT IS PURE HAPPINESS THAT YOUR OWN BRAIN PRODUCES!  NO SADNESS. BUT IF YOUR SADNESS IS MORE THAN THAT THEN I SUGEST CYMBOLTA. I HAVE READ ALOT ABOUT IT AND THE SIDE EFFECTS ARE NOT BAD.

SORRY ABOUT THE LONG SPEACH. BUT GOD IN HEAVEN KNOWS I KNOW WHERE YOU ARE.  IF YOU EVER WANT TO TALK MY NO. IS   812-252-9124   ALICE FITZGERALD

GOOD LUCK
I too am interested in the responses you get.  I am having trouble with weight gain and the sexual dysfunction side effects of long term usage of Zoloft.  I am considering a St. John's Wort therapy.
Sorry but the brain cannot heal what it never had, and in depression that is a breakdown of the neurotransmitters. the meds do for us what our body cant.If the med you are on doesnt help then try a different one till you get to the one that works.I was on many meds before I got the ones I take now and they work great.I also exercise and eat healthy. this goes along way and I am now on the lowest doses because of this.I wouldnt trade my meds for anything!!.Hang in there there is one that is right for you.
Love Venora
KTowne commented on mhv's status
D_Snead35 December 17,2014, it has be... Comment
KTowne commented on Shannon79's status