Depression Community
question about anti depressants

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

question about anti depressants

Well this will be my first true time going on an antidepressant I'm very nervous aboout it. mosty because off all the bad side affects. Anyways I have a couple of questions. .this is for people who have tried lexapro or prozac. Im wondering which one they liked better and which one had the least amount of side affects, how long did it take did it take for you to notice any good side effects not full effects just any good ones? also for those who have tried both which one worked faster? Another this is my mom was on lexapro and said it worked wonders for her. Ive heard people say that sometimes antidepressants that a family member has tried and it worked for them that it has a good chance of working for another relative. basically meaning since it worked for my mom and im her daughter that it might very well work for me too. i dunno maybe thats true maybe its not. also if anyone has any input on another antidepressent other then lexapro or prozac please feel free to let me know. I know everyone is different and i wont know for sure until i actually try them so please please please dont tell me. I just wanna know peoples exsperiences pretty much. one more thing. ive heard that lexapro is pretty much just like celaxa, any truth to this? because ive tried celexa one time and had a very bad reaction to it. thanks everyone!
All meds are trial and error and you have to find the right one that suits your needs.Prozac did nothing for me and neither did lexapro was no good either,the benzos worked for my anxiety and depression but it took a while to find the right one.I believe valium and klonopin where the best.Keep communicating with your doctor and work with them until you find the right medication for you because it can make all the diffference.
I take amitryptiline which has been a good one for me.  It also helps with other things such as headache prevention etc....... You can't rely on a pill to really fix you either there are foods that can help mood and also exercise releases natural endorphins and help as well.  Also,  laugh As much as you can.  I hav found that acting like a clown and making people laugh or smile around me helps me feel better.   These are only suggestions.  And you got us if you need us.  Peace and love
Any time someone starts an antidepressant, it is important to be patient and go into it with an open mind.  You cannot rely on other people's stories.  One med that was a miracle for one person, may have given another person difficulties.

These meds take at leat 6-8 weeks before positive changes are noted, for some people, it may even be longer.  Also, it is not uncommon for people to experience some initial side effects, such as an increase in anxiety (feeling "jittery"), insomnia, drowsiness, GI upset.  The severity of side effects will also vary from person to person.  Typically, they start to subside after about 2 weeks and resolve completely after about 4-6 weeks.

You have to allow yourself to have your own experience and not get caught up in what other people went through with medications.  Keep the lines of communication open with your doctor.  For example, if you have side effects that are bothersome, sometimes a doctor will prescribe a short term course of an anti anxiety med (like Xanax or Ativan) to get the person through the worst of the side effects. Be sure you are looking into therapy as well.  Both medications AND therapy together will give you an increased rate of success.

Best of luck...medications have helped countless people get their life back.
newlife52 commented on Tired of waiting feel...
Food Safety for Both Hot and Cold F...
2 hrs ago by gymdandee
lulu747 commented on Feeling real and tryi...