Depression Community
test for serotonin levels...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

test for serotonin levels...

I have chronic pain and have been on the standard merry go round of pain killers anti-depressant ect
I want to know if anybody has had a serum serotonin test before? Its also known as 5 ht level...
I would like to be on as low a dose as I Possibly can of all this junk, so was hoping this may help us in guiding me down in doses that my brain can handle, would this test help and also what does it cost?
Im in Australia, and have basicly been treating myself with natural remedys, massage Hydro ect but everytime I go to cut back on the AD my brain goes crazy!
Im only 25 and Ive wasted nearly 2 years of my life on bedrest and prescription drugs, I want a happy life, free of drugs but im beginning to think it may never happen.
What meds are you on?
If you are bipolar and not just depressed then standard SSRI antidepressants would indeed make your brain go nuts and they would be the worst thing for you.  Mention this to your doctor and ask for a referral to a good psychiatrist to manage your meds.  You may want to seek out a board certified pain specialist to teach you how to CORRECTLY manage your pain with an integrated approach.
If you're on narcotic pain meds chronically, that will affect everything about your mood, your emotions, everything.  

What all are you on, and what disorders (psych) have you been diagnosed with?  Have you been treated by a psychiatrist?  What medical conditions do you have?  What's the cause of your chronic pain?

Honestly, having a serotonin level drawn isn't very beneficial, especially because all the ideas behind what causes depression and other mood disorders are theories for one.  It's also believed that even if someone doesn't have a lower than normal amount of circulating serotonin in the brain, that they still can benefit from SSRI ADs.  

If you have concurrent mental disorders, treatment is nno doubt much more complicated.  You also have to be VERY careful "self treating" these kinds of conditions.  Just because something is marketed as a "natural remedy" doesn't mean it is safe, or that it isn't contraindicated with your other meds or conditions.

What meds have you tried in the past?  If you can share some more info, we'll give you the best recommendations we can.  The more thorough info you can share about past AND present treatments, and your diagnoses, the better we'll be able to advise you.
I have in the past been on Morphine, oxycontin, a few diff anti-epileptic drugs,tegretol, some others similar but I cant remember and dont keep old meds, I will check with Dr when I see him next..
I am currently taking a slow release Tramadol 200mg twice daily, Dothep 150mg at night, Panadol osteo, up to 6 a day but generally get by on 4 max, I also take 400mg magnesium and calcium and Vit. D. I also have panadiene forte and Morphine for breakthrough pain.I also take Maxalon for all the side effects of Morphine.
I have been diagnosed with Onion Whorl Disease, also known as Localised Hypertrphic Nueropthy. Its a small tumour IN my sciatic nerve as well as a swelling of the nerve itself, about the size of a pea. It has caused me to at time lose control of my bladder, have had severe neuropathic pain, for weeks at a time, I was on bed rest for close to 6 months...was a long a stressful diagnosis, took over 12months,and can only be picked up by a specialist pathologist, after a biopsy of said tumour was extracted in surgery. No surgeon will remove - too much risk of damage. Although I'm being told that the end result of this illness is losing function of the limb affected-my left leg. My leg is wasting away as far up to my thigh...the AD were prescribed as they are supposed to help with pain relief.
Currently referred to as situational depression and anxiety.
There are only 64 people in the world with this disease, they know  little more than what i have told you...not sure if ill be in a wheelchair, dont know if I can have kids, def no on all this crap...myself, my masseur, a good friend, and my GP are basically guessing.... I have had Oncology massage for the past 6 months as well as doing Hydro therapy. They are doing wonders for my pain and mood but am still unable to sit or stand for more than 2 hours, I am on a disability pension and my fitness and comfort is basically a full time job. I haven't worked in 18months.
I've tried accupuntcure and bowen therapy too, no good.
I use heat packs and stickers in winter but they only work as long as I sit still, cold and movement together send the pain signals right off.
My pain had recently platooed so I decided to see if I could try a lower dose AD, was a mess. Crying for no reason, angry, exhausted and so very lost.
Im so lucky my amazing man picked up the pieces when I fell apart.
Hope it helps you to help me, feel pretty hopeless sometimes, I have done a Pain Management Clinic and found it to be of great use but I don't think Ill ever stop looking, there is just too much I don't know about.
Wrapping my legs in a eucalyptus soaked towel occasionally relieves leg cramps but usually end up taking Norflex to sleep on a bad day.
Ill also be trying Manual Lymphatic Draining and seeing a Exercise Physiologist in the next couple of weeks.
GP says I'm pretty much in control of my treatment and he assists me to make the best informed choice I can.
Thanks for replying, you all made my day :-)
lulu747 commented on Feeling real and tryi...
11 mins ago
vicki595 commented on Feeling real and tryi...
meegWpaw commented on Feeling real and tryi...