Depression Community
upping prozac

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

upping prozac

Got a new dr i love him he is older guy..he thinks i need to up my prozac..the other dr had me playhing around with it and i was on 30 mg..this dr wants me to go up 10 mg a week till i reach 60...i dont know about that..he switched my adderall (adderrall) to ritalin for my refractory depression and i toook 2nd pill thsi morning but im afraif im gonna be allegic to it,u all know my fears..i alos haved somazation syndrome and hyperchrodriac..which this dr told me are 2 differnet things..he said to still enjoy my 2 or 3 beers,,he has been a pshychtrist for over 50 years..i read some good reviews on people using ritalin for depression...and i have the xanax to curb my anxiety....i just dont know if i can up my proxac to 60 mg

how llong would i notice before upping the prozc if its gonna  help and should i be worried about being allergic to ritalin....its made differnet than the adderall (adderrall)...anyone else on meds like this
First of all I'm glad he switched the Adderall (adderrall) for Ritalin because it is less potent and cause less damage than Adderall (adderrall) and is more suitable for someone suffering from health anxiety or simply anxiety (I don't mean that less potent = less result. It just works differently)

There totally no risk of upping Prozac to 60mg and taking Ritalin. Prozac will work on your serotonin while Ritalin will work on your dopamine and norepinephrine neurotransmitter's reuptake.

If you would be allergic to Ritalin you would/will know.

You could notice improvement from the upped Prozac in a matter of weeks. You could experience gradual improvements or a kind of miracle day when we don't know why, but suddenly it's like working for you. The drug itself is acting pretty fast and the reuptake inhibition is happening once the drug is released into the blood steam and start acting on the selected neurotransmitters. Why antidepressants can take up to 4 weeks to have a real effect is a total mystery in neurobiology. Cocaine (benzoylmethylecgonine) for example is basically a norepinephrine, dopamine and serotonin reuptake inhibitor but we can feel it's action really quickly (apart the fact that it is most of the time snorted which makes it way more bioavaible) and it haves a short half-life. Ritalin works pretty much in the same way like you will feel the effect 30 to 1 hour after taking the drug.

I am very happy that you have found, what seems to me, be a good doctor.

M4
im doing ok but still scared,will upping the prozac make me sleepy for a few days..and the adderall (adderrall) raceedd my heart so and blood pressue was ok on it,,,on the ritalin my heartratei is preetty good but blood pressure goes low like 85/65 ot 90.75  is that wierd and i feel tired
Upping your dose could make you feel sleepy in the first couple of days especially if it was a side-effect you experienced when starting the drug.

Ritalin can affect your blood pressure. It can go up or down. Maybe the drop in BP is related to the switch from Adderall (adderrall) to Ritalin. Adderall (adderrall) is known to increases blood pressure by a lot so stopping it will of course drop your BP.

I would continue to monitor your BP and see. If the blood pressure keeps getting lower then I would report back to your doctor but I'm pretty sure it is due to no more Adderall (adderrall) and new Ritalin.
My heart rate has dropped too  and i feel more depressed this morning i dont know whats up no motivation at all
Heart rate is supposed to drop too.

Up and downs are part of the ride until you find stability. Keep in mind that even non-depressed people have their ups and downs. Call it a bad day.

A reason for the lack of motivation might be due to the Adderall (adderrall) not being in the game no more but don't worry this should not last.

If you keep experiencing sinusoid moods after a while then I would find a psychologist because it might be another mood disorder.

Keep in mind that you are off the amphetamines (Adderall (adderrall)) which was giving you a lot of motivation but the Ritalin should work well if the dose adjustment with Prozac works well.
i dont understand what is sinusoid moods..i have a psychilogist and my new pshychtrist..drank a beer and took my xanax about hour later forgot to take afternoon prozac so will take it now 8 10 pm...about hour and half after my 3.2 beer (one beer) i usually i wait longer to take meds after a beer so hope i wil be ok
When I said sinusoid moods I was referring to manic depression or borderline personality disorder but it can also be related to depression without actually being a manic depression (bi-polar).

Changes in meds and some other factors can lead to such variation in mood too.

One beer is considered safe so you should be ok.

no i was asked about manic depression im not i neve get any highs,,,,,,,,maybe personialityorder but wouldntmy pshychtrist have found that out he asked me a million qustions..i feel moe depresssed since upping the prozac..,plus dierehha and sleeepiness,im callinf dr today
Several users report increased depression when starting or upping dose of a medication. This usually resolve.

Sleepiness is normal when upping dose, your body needs to adjust. You can discuss with your doctor about taking the Prozac at night and Ritalin in the morning. That could solve the sleepiness issue.

M4
when i seen my dr he mentioned trying wellbutrin wiht the xanax to help my sex drive,,i talked to mr dr partner today and told him about my wierd walking again the dierehha and more depression since upping prozac and he said go back to 30 mg for a few days and see if things goback how they were and they may add wellbutrin..makes me a bit nervous as i read where u can have seizures on wellbutrin and its not good to drink  with itmbut i drink only 1 or two beers everry other day..the prozac just is not kicking my depression and i think i felt more up on adderall (adderrall) but my heart rate is so much better on ritalin..what a battle this is i just want to feel better and have some energy.
Like I said in the other post concerning Wellbutrin well yeah sex drive is increased normally on Wellbutrin probably due to the dopamine reuptake inhibition. So you are supposed to have more energy and increased sex drive. Like I said you should not worry about seizures since you on a medicine with anticonvulsive proprieties (Xanax)

Good luck
mommy52 commented on here r my medhelp fri...
17 mins ago
Spectrals added the Sleep Tracker
22 mins ago
realjimmy commented on realjimmy's status
44 mins ago