4 yr olds skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

4 yr olds skin

My son is 4 and has pimple like bumps(almost like mosquito bites) on his bottom they are spread out couple here and there. Does anyone know what this could be or something to use on it have tried neosporin and cortosone nothing has worked

Without examination,confirming a diagnosis is tough but some of the possibilities for your son’s symptoms are rashes due to friction,folliculitis due to blocked hair follicles,contact dermatitis,allergies or sweat dermatitis.

Allow your son to wear cotton undergarments and keep the buttocks clean and hygienic.Also after washing the area with water,pat dry the buttocks.Pls do not apply any cream on the byttocks as it will leda to further clogging of pores.You can however apply a light dusting powder.If the rashes still persist,then pls get then evaluated by a dermatologist as antibiotics(in folliculitis) or steroids may be needed.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how your son is doing or if you have any additional queries.

He always wears cotton breifs, his dad gets this also his dads is worse, My son takes a bath daily, I make sure he is totally dry he got it once before and his doctor(which often has wrong diagnosis) said it was a for of staffacocillis(dont think that is spelled right) and gave him a type of cream. They are never open wounds just looks like bug bite

The doctor meant to say that they are boils. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle(folliculitis) by staphyloccocus aureus.Hair follicles that are blocked by greasy creams, petroleum jelly, or similar products are more vulnerable to infection. Bacterial skin infections can be spread by shared cosmetics or washcloths, close human contact, or by contact with pus from a boil or carbuncle.Maybe your son is getting the staph infection from his dad as he is having the same problem too.

Treatment includes warm compresses and antibiotics and pls do not touch or pick them up.Other possibility is of contact dermatitis to the clothes and sweat.I feel that application of warm compresses and topical antibiotics will help.If symptoms are severe then oral antibiotics have to be prescribed by a pediatric dermatologist.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how your son is doing or if you have any other queries.