8 Years of a stinging ugly red line under my lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hi all,

I have had this problem under my bottom lip for the last 8 years now. It began with at the centre of the lip as like a red spot and now has spread from one side of my mouth to the other as like a line or extra bottom lip. I have tried every cream going and I mean every think that can buy in a chemist but all of these just seems to make it sting more and make more red and noticeable. I tried changing my died to see if that worked but no, I've taking all types of vitamins (B12,B6 which were recommended) but no improvement. I waited nearly a year to go see the dermatologist, they gave me more cream but didn't work. I'm at a stage where my only options is to see if can get removed or something because its really damaged my confidence and when I speak to people I can just see them always looking at my lip.

If there is anyone that may provide some help, it would be extremely welcome

Kieran    
Tags: lips, Red Line
From the symptoms it looks like lip licker’s dermatitis. The other possibility is of perioral dermatitis. Treatment consists of oral antibiotics, topical mild steroids and anti-inflammatory drugs. A mild soap or soap substitute, such as Dove or Cetaphil should be used for washing. Scrubbing should be avoided. My sincere advice would be to consult a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thanks for getting back to me, appreciate it very much. I went to a recommended GP last week and now he’s referring me for a second opinion with the dermatologist. I don’t lick my lips at all so we can count that one of it I think.  I explained to the GP about I think it came on, I’m sure I burnt my lip with Lime (was working as a plaster labour at the time) making the skim. He agreed that could be the case and then thinks my lip hasn’t naturally been able to heal since. All the creams I’ve tried have not been able to repair the bottom of my lip leaving it exposed to whatever makes it inflamed and stings.
What cream would you recommend I should try in the meantime, while I wait for my second seeing with the dermatologist? Will the mild soap help to a certain degree? I would so like the redness to go down and not become inflamed all the time. Do you agree that it could be still burnt from that time 8 years ago, as I remember exactly the day after it started to appear?

Thanks Again
Kieran