Dermatology Expert Forum
AIRBAG BURNS

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

AIRBAG BURNS

hello how are you doing? okay my question is concerning scars.I RECENTLY WAS INVOLVED IN A CAR ACCIDENT LIKE 2 MONTHS AGO AND THE AIRBAG BURNED MY FACE AND I WAS PUTTING COCOA BUTTER ON IT AND IT HEALED BUT THE PART THAT WAS BURNED HEALED DARKER THAN MY SKIN IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN PUT ON IT TO MAKE IT BLEND IN WITH MY SKIN OR IS IT PERMANETLY DAMAGED? AT THIS MOMENT I'M PUTTING SKIN SUCCESS, VITAMIN E, AND COCOA BUTTER HOPING ONE OF THE THREE DOES THE TRICK. WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Jeffrey:

There is a very good chance that the extra pigment you see on your face will go away completely.  It can take many months for pigment like that to fade.

To make the problem go away faster, you can apply a lightening cream containing hydroquinone.  These are available over-the-counter in a two percent formula.  Sun protection is also a good idea to prevent further darkening.

Good luck.

Dr. R
I ALSO HAD A CRASH AND I WAS ALSO RUBBING COCOA BUTTER ALL OVER MYSELF. THE BURN REALLY HURT. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111
I ALSO HAD A CRASH AND I WAS ALSO RUBBING COCOA BUTTER ALL OVER MYSELF. THE BURN REALLY HURT. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know what you mean.  I just got in a car accident myself and got a burn on my arm from the air bag and there is nothing I can do but wait for it to heal.  It's now like scabbed and not that bad, but I wanted to say I'm sorry and know how you feel.
            Sincerely,
               ***@****
My daughter was recently involved in an auto accident (10 days ago), and the paramedic made a comment to me, that air bags contain cyanide. Her burns on her arms are healing, but did develop a rash. I thought it was from the neosporin, or possibly the bandages themselves. So we have left it unwrapped and the rash is drying up. Today, she is developing a mild rash on her face. Could this be from the airbag? You can respond to me at

***@****

Thank you.