Dermatology Expert Forum
Abnormal fingernail

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Abnormal fingernail

I recently noticed on my left thumb an indentation (significant) and didn't think much of it, later (3 weeks) I started to notice that my right thumb nail is starting to indent.  I looked on the internet and I found an identical picture and they labelled it "spooning"....what do you think is causing this?  I have been having a lot of GI nausea/stomach pain and heartburn (been taking prilosec otc for the past 7 days with improvement), also I have mildly elevated LFT's and there maybe a possibility of having autoimmune hepatitis (other test are being done).  Also I had a iron studies done and they found (slightly low TIBC and transferin, but normal iron and ferritin).  Any info would be appreciated.....thanks
Spooning caused by iron problems or other systemic issues produces the effect on all the nails, not just one.  The most common cause of indentation is a thumbnail is the habit of picking at the base of the nail, which irritates the growth area (the white, semicircular part near the base).  This causes the nail to have a groove.  The treatment is not to pick at the base of the nail.  I don't know whether this applies to you, so a visit to a dermatologist would be the way to go.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
http://www.medhelp.ws/forums/Dermatology/wwwboard.html

They don't seem to be popping up in the proper website
A related discussion, fingernail issue was started.