Dermatology Expert Forum
Abnormal fingernail
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Abnormal fingernail

I recently noticed on my left thumb an indentation (significant) and didn't think much of it, later (3 weeks) I started to notice that my right thumb nail is starting to indent.  I looked on the internet and I found an identical picture and they labelled it "spooning"....what do you think is causing this?  I have been having a lot of GI nausea/stomach pain and heartburn (been taking prilosec otc for the past 7 days with improvement), also I have mildly elevated LFT's and there maybe a possibility of having autoimmune hepatitis (other test are being done).  Also I had a iron studies done and they found (slightly low TIBC and transferin, but normal iron and ferritin).  Any info would be appreciated.....thanks
Related Discussions
242489_tn?1210500813
Spooning caused by iron problems or other systemic issues produces the effect on all the nails, not just one.  The most common cause of indentation is a thumbnail is the habit of picking at the base of the nail, which irritates the growth area (the white, semicircular part near the base).  This causes the nail to have a groove.  The treatment is not to pick at the base of the nail.  I don't know whether this applies to you, so a visit to a dermatologist would be the way to go.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
2 Comments
Blank
http://www.medhelp.ws/forums/Dermatology/wwwboard.html

They don't seem to be popping up in the proper website
Blank
A related discussion, fingernail issue was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker