Dermatology Expert Forum
Anal Irritation

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Anal Irritation

Here's one you probably haven't heard before but for the past 4 1/2 years I've been suffering from this condition.  I'll be blunt.  The area around my anus is inflamed and the skin is thinned out.  As a result I am always uncomfortable and 50% of the time I have a bowel movement it bleeds.  In addition to my regular dermatologist I've seen at least six others.  My personal dermatologist thinks it likely is psoriasis but can't say for sure.  We've tried everything including diflucan, anti-depressants, as well as just about every medicine you can think of.  I haven't used a cortisone for 4 years so you can rule that out as a contributing factor.  Currently I'm using just Aquaphor.  This problem might not sound like a big deal to someone else but it prevents me from exercising so it impacts my physical health.  In addition because I'm always sore it makes me cranky most of the time and I'm not my normal self.  In the past doctors simply put some Gentian Violet on it and it would clear up in a few days.  Not so anymore.  Incidentally I've seen a proctologist and everything is normal as far as my bowels go except that this irritation extends about 1/2 to 1 inch inward.  My diet consists of lots of fiber and plenty of water.  I would appreciate any suggestions regardless of how unconventional they may sound.  Or at least point me in a direction where I might look for some answers. ANYTHING. I am a 50 year old heterosexual male.  Help.  Thanks.
****:

What you describe is actually very common.  It's hard to expalain why, but the perianal tissue is very sensitive, and intermittent or continual itch is very widepsread.  Scartching and itching often produce blood on toilet tissue or bowel movements themselves.

Nothing cures this condition, but there is good treatment to suppress it.  My personal favorite is vioform-hydrocortisone cream, applied 4-6 times a day, and then sealed in with Aquaphor.  As symptoms remit, applications can be lessened.

Try it.  You'll like it.  If not, there are other choices.  The key is to look for comfort, not cure.

Best.

Dr. R
Dr. R:

Thank you for your response.  Allow me one follow up line of questions and I won't bother you anymore.  I realize there are other people out there with concerns of their own.

If my skin is thin is it alright to use hydrocortisone on it?  Doesn't that thin out the skin even more?  My skin is so thin already there are breaks in it.  Burns like crazy.  Is Analpram H.C. 2.5% similar to vioform-hydrocortisone?

Could MSM (Methyl-Sulfonyl-Methane), alpha hydroxy acid, or lactic acid be used to regenerate skin tissue?  I've also heard of a study conducted in Sweden where an aloe vera extract in a hydrophilic base has been used with a lot of success in conditions such as this and psoriasis.  Know anything about it?

Please list the other choices I can try that you mentioned in your reply.  I appreciate your help.

****
2.5% hydrocortisone is too weak to thin the skin.

The alternatives include these ointments: aclovate, dermatop, tridesilon.

I don't know anything about MSM.  The claims I see on the web seem hard to credit.

Good luck.

Dr. R
I also suffer from anal itching but my symptoms are related to ingestion of certain foods. All dairy products, citrus, "too much" tomato based sauses, some medications often in the erythromycin family, popcorn---these seem to be the worst offenders.  I am so very careful about what I eat, but sometimes in a restaurant cream will be added to foods I would never suspect, but I surely know it the next day and many days to come. I was once told by a proctologist that that these symptoms are sometimes caused by an auto-immusne response.  Any thoughts about that?  It's a horrible situation.  I worry about it predisposing rectal cancer.
No no no!  Do not worry about rectal cancer, please!  Itch is annoying, but an itch is just an itch . . .

Dr. R
I have been suffering from anal itching and an itchy rash on my buttocks for 5 months.  I have seen many doctors from a Dermatologist, to an Infectious Disease Specialist to a Neurologist who I am seeing now.  The Neurologist has prescribed Neurontin.  I am on 3200 mg a day.  The drug seems to help with the itching and I notice if I'm late taking it I start to itch.  However, it has not been a cure, it simply helps with the symptoms.  Now I seem to have side effects like constipation and muddy stools.  I am trying to eliminate certain foods and exercise to try and improve digestion but nothing has helped yet.  I do not like taking perscription drugs but I am at a lost as to how to cure this problem.  Do you have any suggestions?
At last !!!! someone has told me that my INTENSE ANAL ITCHING OF 25 YEARS is not curable, at least now I know.

Mine is almost constant and the only relief I get is to scratch and massage my anus in a kind of "counter irritation" cycle - it is most unpleasant yet compulsive and addictive.

I too have tried all sorts of creams and am concerned about cortisone as well as dietry matters.

I will try some of the solutions mentioned above and hope like hell to get some comfort, but if any one has other suggestions please put fingers to the keyboard as after 25 years I am so sick of the condition.  Thanks to you all.
Could this be from Lichen Schlerosis?
Thank you Judy, what is Lichen Schlerosis?
Hi All,

I too suffer from the dreaded itch of the Anus.  I have found that alcohol can irritate it.  I have tried various creams prescribed by by GP.  I find that during the summer months it goes away.  I also feel it is all a state of mind as I have psorisis and when this gets bad so does the itch.  Ive been to a "quack" which I found very good, but unfortunately circumstances didn't allow me to stick to the "No Alcohol" rule.  I am going to start back on the cure soon so I'll keep you up-dated.  The cure consists of a bottle which is drunk daily (to drive the itch out of the body) and a cream (no steroids) which then kills it off.

Regards

Mickey
I have also had this condition around the anus for over 35 years.A doctor prescribed Vioform H (hydrocortisone) cream  which I applied whenever I had a flareup. It worked well and I used it for about 25 years until one day I got a tube with an insert that warned of potential problems, none of which I can remember.It scared me so I stopped using it and had the condition virtually all the time- sometimes not so bad, sometimes very bad. I got some relief from sitz baths followed by an application of diluted tincture of calendula. After 10 years off the hydrocortisone I couldn't stand the problem anymore and my doctor prescribed something called triamcinolone Acetonide cream 0.1% and I am getting alot of relief once again. But my fears of side effects have returned, particularly since I have been dealing with a chronic illness, something like CFIDS or chronic fatigue syndrome. I am wondering if my illness could be related to the many years of using the hydrocortisone. My question I guess is, what problems can long term use lead to?
Thank you, Jack
Acupuncture works wonders with itching. Itching stops for quite some days. But it can come back.I have similar problem and do not know how to identify what it is. I can control the itch very easily but cure is still not in sight.The itch is alternating between scalp ( occipital region ) and groin and testical and perianal area.
Kiran Phalke
i just started to have the same anal itch everyone has been talking about.  i went to my pbgyn and she told me that it could possibly be a yeast infection.  she then gave me one dose of a pill and some anti itch cream.  i was alright for a few weeks, but now it is bak.  why does it seem to flare up at night time ?
please help
I get relief from Gold Bond medicated powder.  My itching can be dormant for days at a time and then flare up again without warning.
My doctor calls it PURITUS ANI. I call it severe burning and itching. It happens during bowel movements and about two hours after going to bed. It's better than any alarm clock, it wakes me right up. No dosing off back to sleep for me. I keep my fingernails short so all the scratching I do won"t cause much blood loss. I'm a twenty year sufferer. Seems these soft tissue aliments are real tough for doctors to figure out. I've used every over the counter ointment, and some prescribed with little comfort. I've often thought that it has to do with diet. I've changed my eating habits a thousand times. Caffeine is the only thing that does seem to have an effect on this condition. No caffeine the burn and itch is bad, however, with caffeine in my diet the burn and itch is much worse. Alcohol ,dairy products, and some spicy foods also seem to play a part. If anyone out there has a cure please let it be known.
v
Just found this forum. Glad I did. I was beginning to think I was alone in this thing. My night-time scratching drives my girlfriend nuts! I end up in the spare room regularly. At least now i have some idea as to what's going on.
I am also interested in this topic having suffered this condition for at least 35 years. For many years I used Vioform-H as mentioned above and it did suppress the condition. None of the several dermatologists I saw in the first 20 years or so mentioned anything cautionary until one day a pharmacist told me he could no longer fill my perscription. What! And in the box that contained the final tube he gave me was an insert with MANY cautions about the possible harmful effects of hydrocortisone. It was news to me! Now I am suffering with a chronic illness- CFIDS, (chronic fatigue immune dysfunction syndrome), and I wonder if there is a link. My question to a dermatologist is: What are the effects on the body from long term use of hydrocortisone?
Thanks,
Jack
I finally got relief recently, [see my message of 4/8],thanks to the sufferers on this board. On my last visit to the docs he gave me a sample of Analpram HC cream 2.5%. I used it that night and was not awaken by the usual burning & itching. Finally after 20 years I got a good nights sleep. I've used it every night since with the same results. Thank GOD I found this site. He also wrote me a prescription for more. It's not cheap $40 for a small tube but really for the relief it brings it's worth $400. Thanks to all...... BOB

I have had anal itch for over 3 yrs now and it sucks. I sleep with a bottle of absorbine jr. and douse my anus at night to stop the itching long enough so I can fall asleep. I just want to take some sandpaper and scratch till I bleed. Recently I been using pure vitamin e oil........seems to working....I'll keep you fellow anal sufferes posted on my results......"Keep on Scratching"
Try changing your brand of TP. ( chemicals in many).
Also use a hot shower ( as hot as you can stand on your anus ) followed imeadiatly by cold as you can stand water. Use Cortizone very sparlingly. This is also good for jock itch/
I finnaly found a way to stop the itching of my anus after enduring it for ages , so darn simple in my case, each time I have a bowel movement, I wet some toilet paper, and clean off the old butthole, sometimes it takes several wipes and then once with dry toilet paper, It really worked for me.
Try rubbing the gel from an aloe vera plant on your anus , this brings instant relief .
It's been about two years now since I've started to itch and it's such a relief to know there are others out there.  Somtimes I literally think I am going insane and I've got some sort of bizarre obsessive compulsive disorder that hits me at night when my hormones get to a certain level or something.  Or maybe it's some Freudian psychological development problem manifesting in a subconscious fixation on the anus.  I have no clue.  I've theorised this thing every which way - I've come up with a million possible causes and a million possible treatments, NONE of which have worked.

I wonder, since this condition is more common in men, if it might be the male version of a yeast infection.  Is it due to systemic Candidiasis?  Is it candida albicans that causes the itch?  And now the tissue around my anus is red red red and sore and thickened and now that itches when before it was just the area right inside the anus.  Has a secondary bacterial infection now set in?  

This is ridiculous and NO ONE CAN GIVE ME ANSWERS!  oh let's help each other end this misery.  It truly is MISERY!
I just want to add that aloe vera gel, straight from the plant - just cut off a piece and rub it on - soothes the burning.  

Sprays like Desenex for jock itch have done nothing, neither have anti fungals - topical or pills,

witch hazel with menthol soothes temporarily,

I have had success with a salve made with honey and herbs prescribed by a practitioner of chinese medicine but it's really messy - especially while sleeping,

I've put yogurt and emptied the contents of acidophilus capsules onto the area when considering the yeast possibility - Ic ouldn't really tell WHAT was going on with that fiasco of a mess, but it didn't "cure" me - i'm still here...

topical steroids did a little but weakened the skin to the point of tearing slightly,

vitamin E oil soothes

sleeping in a colder room has helped lately

tonight i washed my anus with vinegar - I'll let you all know how that goes
i have also been suffering from anal itch.  mine seems to be the bedtime culprit.  i have been to a doctor and he found humor in my seriousness.  he prescribed a cortosone ointment which doesn't seem to give me much relief.  it made me feel good to read about others with the exact same symptoms and feel the same
embarrassments that i do.  if someone knows a cure, let me know and i will buy stock in that company.

I came to this site with a problem other than this one, but I must ask those that are suffering from this - especially at night - have any doctors requested a stool sample? I'm thinking intestinal worms who characteristically come out of the anus at night to lay eggs (very tiny). Probably not the case with most here, but it should be looked into. Try the tape test (although this is NOT a definitive diagnosis). At night, in the dark, when it starts itching, put a piece of scotch tape to the anus, now you can turn the lights on. If worms are present, you may see the eggs on the tape. Good luck to all.
I've gottn some relief from the anal itch problem by using a suppository for vaginal yeast infections.  It is a glycerin based product called Yeast Guard. I also use a prescription ointment that contains hydrocortisone. The topical ointment doesn't help the area just inside the anus though. So far the Yeast Guard product provides superior relief to products like Preparation H. I have also visited a site for the Rudd clinic. Dr Rudd seems to be very well informed about this problem. He recommends a product that is made of metal, is cooled in the refrigerator, and inserted into the anus and supposedly gives instant relief of itching symptoms. I haven't used this product personally but it sounds worth trying.
I too have explored the world of Dr. Rudd.  I bought the book he sells and then I went ahead and got the product the above posting mentioned called Anurex.  It's a little plastic "insert" that is filled with cold retaining gel or something - much like a reuseable icepack.  You keep in the freezer and when you start to itch, you lube it up and pop it in.  It basically numbs you - it's like using ice but without the water - and there is some relief, but AGAIN, this doesn't solve the problem - it merely treats the symptoms.  The relief lasts as long as your anus stays numb (which might be long enough to calm you down and prevent further scratching for a bit) and the insert stays cold for only about eight minutes.  It might be worth a shot for some folks.

The vinegar thing I mentioned in another post didn't really do anything, by the way.  

I'm also interested to know if the people in this forum would be interested in taking a survey that might shed some light on the cause of this most insidious little itch.  The survey would just ask questions about various health issues, diet, habits, health history, and all other possible factors in an attempt to find some commonality amongst us sufferers.  Of course it would all be confidential.  Post a response if you're interested and we'll move forward from there.
My problem with anal itch started during antibiotic treatment for a cold or something. My Dr. figured it was a simple problem of upseting the intestonal flora and tried various treatments to get rid of the problem. That was over three years ago with no significant improvement. I also have a problem with elevated bilirubin level which my Dr. says could cause the problem. The info on bilirubin that I have found on the internet may support that theory. Bilirubin is broken down by the intestonal bacteria as it passes out of the body. Is anyone else with this anal itch condition aware of a problem with their bilirubin level?
Here is what has worked for me . I was in the 5th grade ,when my anus began to itch. for 2 weeks it drove me crazy. I told my aunt .she said put cold water on a rag and hold it on the itch area. i did it, it stoped almost instantly I'm now in my 40's it  came back 5 times in my whole life.when it did ,i turned the shower on to the cold water and let it run on the itch. good luck.
And I thought it was just me!! - Im in my 20's and suffered now with this for about a year - I cant face going to my doctor - is there anything over the counter I can use? (in the UK)
There are time when my eyes water from the pain when ive scratched - and I usually find ive scratched in my sleep and the next morning isvery sore!
Well Ihave had this itch also for some time now,and as inconvenient I find for all of you I'm glad I'm not the only one,also I was concerned that these were the first symptoms of some sort of cancer ( what a relief) I don't really like cortisone creams but when the itch gets too bad then I just go to the freezer and grab an iceblock and freeze.
Works for me
I am going to print all of these posts so that I can show my husband that I truly am suffering from something that I "affectionately" call ITCHY BUTT.  I have gained some comfort in reading these posts.
I am going to try diluted vinegar and Zeasorb powder.
I am so glad that I have found out that I'm not the only one who suffers from "Itchy Butt".  I know my husband thinks I'm crazy, but now I have others that are suffering too.
I suffered from intermintant anal itch for many years. I tried everything I could find. Some things helped a little, some more than others. An extremely semior citizen told me about a salve call "Sayman Salve". I tried it next time I had a problem and the results were amazing. One application stopped the itching and I now go for weeks without a problem. I have no finachial enterest in the Company but will give you the name as it might help those who need help. Name of Company is Merz Pharmaceuticals, Greenboro, NC 27410. I can find it in a drug store or maybe order it through the drug store. Good Luck!
Although I have never cured the anal itching problem (I have the night time variety) the one sure cure for a good night's sleep is the 'Germoloids' ointment which has an anaesthetic in it.  Absolutely foolproof for me.
i am suffering with this this itch for last 06 years.tried hydrocotisone,bethametasone.miconazole helps little bit.but ususally at night i suffer too much.took worm medicine,antihistamine but to no avail.can anybody help

As much as I am glad to see there are a lot more than just me suffering with this, I feel for you.  My butt is to the point that I have a chronic wetness problem, to where it will come though my pants.  The itch started five years ago.  I scratched in my sleep, hurt all day, and could barely wipe.  I found that desitin will help with the irritant and pain.  I used the Anurex things, and they don't work for me.  I really don't like them either.  Sometimes Lanocane will take the itch out.  Try talcom powder to keep the area dry durning the day.  I heard a cotton ball in the area may help, but haven't tried.  Some foods will irriated, such has spicey foods, and dairy.  The main point is Doctors really have no clue what is happening here.  Don't let them shove a tube up your ***, it won't help.  I'm thinking it's some kind of bacteria or parasite.  I'm going to keep on my new dr to help me.  Oh yea, get ready to hear, eat more fiber.  I'd like to take the fiber and shove it up my gastro specialists ***.
Could it be that you are allergic to certain kinds of soap?
I believe it was my problem. I had a terrible itch after a shower
and could not sleep. I would scratch until  my anul was sore and would bleed. I had this problem for about 4 years.
You see there is chemicals in soap that will not wash off good when you rinse.
Now I use a medicated shampoo to wash my rectum. I have had no problems for over a year now.The brand name is Denorex. Believe me I am not making a dime off of this info. Just trying to be of help.
  Good luck Eddie

I am 32 years old. I recently had an inflamation (inflammation) in my anus that flared up in a matter of two days. It is about 1 cm in and also outside the anus so my bowel movements are very painful. I had this condition for the first time about a hear and a half ago and it only lasted about one week and it was never this bad. This time round, I cannot sleep because of the pain, and cannot walk properly and sit properly. When I pass wind, it hurts. What on earth is is this condition and how can I supress it ? Is there a cure for it ?

John
I am amazed! Sooooo many people suffer this anal itch like I do.

I posted a comment back in Feb/2000 and can't believe the postings now.

I am still suffering but will consolidate all of the suggestions and try what appears likely to help me.

Thank you all
Does anyone else have any kind of cracks or sores on the anal area?  My itching has been going on for years and I finally pulled out a mirror and noticed small cracks or sores that bleed.  I'm so glad I'm not the only one!!!
My God! So many posts of the unfortunate souls that suffer from this curse.  I also am a chronic sufferer.  This malady started when I was 23 ( I am now 37!).  Being a heterosexual male and married, this condition would be comic if it wasnt so mind twisting and aggrivating. I have reveiled my ******* to so many doctors I might as well have the picture published!  I've literaly spent thousands of dollars trying to find relief.  I've tried all the steriod and anti-fungal creams recommended,  I even did vinegar enimas!  I was almost to the verge of blowing my brains out during one, two month, sleep deprived period in which I endured the barage of constant needle jabs of intence itching,burning and torn tissue bleeding.  Someone should start a website so us doomed sufferers can support each other and swap info on tried remedies.

Well, here I am again, after having tried everything everything I can think of.  I had blood tests done for Candida albicans yeast overgrowth thinking that this must must must be the problem - but OF COURSE, I don't have candida.  I still have no idea what the hell this is and it's driving me insane.  NO ONE knows what this is.  I just sent stool samples off to a lab to be analyzed for parasites, bacteria, and the like and I WON'T BE THE LEAST SURPRISED IF THEY FIND ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  But I'll keep you all informed anyway.

Good luck...
Try eliminating oranges and other citrus fruit and juices, coffee, tea and cola, and spicy foods from your diet for a few days.  Once the irritation has died down you can introduce small occasional amounts of these back into your diet but if diet is the cause, the irritation tends to be proportional to the amount you digest.

Also cool loose nightwear helps.  Good gentle hygiene after a bowel movement is essential (e.g. use wet baby wipes)
I've had itchybutt for about 10 years now, and have found the best maintenace routine is to clean very thoroughly after defacation with a baby wipe (dont flush! they clog the toilet) or wet papertowel. After, I apply Carmex, from Carma Labs. I'm told camphor in the Carmex acts as both anesthetic and anti-inflamatory.
I use a shower-massager that works wonders after a night's sleep, and apply Carmex before getting dressed. A final cleaning and application is the last thing before bed.
Good luck to all.
Oh My!!!!!  So many people so much *** itch.
I just started getting it about a month ago and it is driving me crazy.  It's mostly when i'm out at a mall or shopping I have to literally run to the car to scratch or I will loose my mind.
I put VICKS VAPOR RUB, on the outside of the hole and I insert as well and that seems to cut down the burn.

I am sorry to see that i'm not the only sufferer of this problem.  I hear that prepration H has this cooling gel, has anyone tried that?   I'm going to stick with the Vicks until I can find something that works better.
HIGHly entertaining, my friend.  You're just jealous.
i have found a simple method for relief of my anal itch. i make a paste using Anusol and corn starch and appy it to my anus after a bowel movement. i have no more itch. i only require one application per day. try it. safe and effective.
after i finish to read all the issues, I did notice some similarity with my case which is chronic fatigue. I don't know if that could be of any importance.
Im a 30yo hetero male and had a similar problem for about 3 months.  Turns out I can't eat salami or peperonni.
Protopic medicine has improved my ani-puritus by 60-70%. I showed my Dr an article from the NY Times about Protopic and it helping with eczema. I started with the .03 with good results, but got better results with the .1 strength.  At first there was a little stinging in the anal area.  I also notice a metallic taste in my mouth.  Some of the itch moved to my scrotum. I have been able to eat and drink with limited irritation. My battle has lasted 8 years.  I hope this information helps.
A related discussion, over 6 years now was started.
I read somewhere a while back gay up to 70% of people could have pinworms. Although they're more common in children, they're highly contagious so anyone, no matter what age could have them.
Anyway, the chief symptom of pinworms is perianal itching due to the pregnant female worms crawling out the anus and laying their eggs at night.
They're so common, it would be worth asking your doctors about. The cure is ONE pill to kill the worms, then one more a couple weeks later in case any eggs hatched after the other works were wiped out (pardon the pun).
It would just be stupid to put up with itchy butt syndrome when the cure MIGHT be so simple.
Good luck with the butts everyone!
A related discussion, Re:  Anal Psoriasis was started.
A related discussion, external piles was started.