Axillary rash with itching
Hi Doc,
    I have a rash under my arms that started when I was 4 months pregnant with my 4th child. She is now 7 weeks old. It constantly itches, is red, and very dry and scaly. I have tried many over the counter corticosteriods and antibiotics creams without any relief. I was diagnosed with left kidney atrophy about 4 weeks ago and a cyst on my liver due to endometriosis during a CT of my c-section wound. I recently underwent another surgery due to the un-healing c-section wound that became severely infected and developed cellulitis. I have not switched detergents, cleaners, or shampoo for over 4 years. Currently I'm on heavy antibiotics and pain meds but do not usually take any regular medications. However, the itching appeared long before all the surgeries. Can you help explain what this might be and whether there is an over-the-counter treatment or do I need to see a specalist? I am 24 and usually very healthy and active but cold-natured and keep our home at 75 degrees year-round.
Thank you,
Beth

Hi.

Differentials for this may be a fungal infection or a dermatitis. Other differentials may be a psoriasis or a seborrheic dermatitis. As it seems to be a chronic inflammatory condition ,this may be a dermatitic skin condition. An associated fungal or bacterial infection has to be ruled out. A microscopic evaluation of the scales may be able to differentiate a fungal infection or a dermatitic cause.  I suggest that you seek consult with your dermatologist for an initial assessment.

Do you have previous history of eczematous disease or fungal infections before?
No history of ecaema and only one case of ring worm when I was 6 years old. The dr thought it was fungal and gave me ketoconazone topical to use for 7 days... no change. So maybe a dermatitic cause? Any ideas on what would have caused it in my environment? Thank you for your help!
Oh, I feel I should mention that I even went a week without shaving and without deodorant. It was a horrible experience but did not help my rash.