BLACK SPOT UNDER TOE NAILS [BLOOD CLOTS]

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

HI I AM A 35 YEAR OLD WHITE MALE I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF THE BLACK SPOTS UNDER MY TOE NAILS ARE HARMLESS IT DONT HURT AND LOOKS LIKE A BLOOD CLOT I THINK IF YOU CAN LET ME KNOW AND HOW LONG IT TAKES TO GO AWAY THAT WOULD BE GREAT THANKS
This could be due to injury, fungal infection or a skin disorder.
Blood clot formation under the toenails is caused by some kind of external pressure which has caused capillaries on the surface to break. This extravasated blood then collects below the surface of the nail, causing it to appear bluish-black.

It will usually be accompanied by pain and swelling which will subside in a few days leaving only the discoloration behind. Initial treatment is with cold compress and pain killers.
The colored spots will fade in about a fortnight, as each day passes the color can change as the the blood pigment gets broken down.

If you have a nail fungal infection (onychomycosis) the nail may appear thickened, brittle and dull, with no luster or shine.The  dark color is  caused by debris building up under your nail.
Nail fungus can be difficult to treat, and repeated infections are common. Over-the-counter antifungal nail creams and ointments are available, but they aren't very effective.

You will require prescription anti-fungal medications like Itraconazole (Sporanox) or Fluconazole (Diflucan).
ref: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nail-fungus/DS00084/DSECTION=treatments%2Dand%2Ddrugs
If it is neither then you may have to get a dermatologist's opinion on a possible Melanoma which can start under the toenail on occasion.

I've got the same issue. I notices a couple of weeks ago a small blackish/blueish color spot on my big left toe. About a week ago I notices a second one. Could this be the same thing? I going to see my doctor in the couple of days but I thought I would just check and see what the internet says about it. Just to add, I do have diabetes. Thanks for any help.
hi, i'm a teenage girl. few wk or day ago i wore a pair of shoe which is very tide and small for my feet and it hurt my toes so badly...then after a few i notice some black spots under one of my toe nail and it seem to be spreading or becoming more blacker.!?.and i dunno wad to do..pls do anyone noe wad cn i do to remove it!!
I have a similar problem. When I was playing football with my new shoes, I hit one of my toes. There was no bleeding. But base of my toe nail has turned bluish black and I feel there is a displacement in the nail position. The nail has moved forward displaced from its roots. Although it is not moving now, it is paining. I dont want to remove my nails. So I am going to leave it as it is. I hope it will be fine in a month or so. My only fear is whether infection is possible at this stage which may worsen the condition. Please suggest me in this regard.I will be grateful.
I'm taking care of an old lady who has heart problems....she had an open heart operations in Nov 2010.....
When I cut her toenails, I noticed both her big toenails
Are blue and under her big toes.....I'm Not sure whether to apply anything to it
However I soaked it in lukewarm saltwater....massaged it as I was
Scared there was too much pressure put on her feet.....please Help
hi there

i seem to be having the exact same problem as these guys. wearing ridiculuosly tight shoes and danced in them. but the difference is that this was 3 months ago and still the bluish black spot it present. i am certain this is a major concern but i need advice as to how i should treat this issue?
Hi!
I have the. Same problem only the dots appear one after the other..like one appear and then few weeks later it disappears and a new one on a different place appears...
I'm 17 and my nails are pretty healthy as u stated they're shinny and I do not have any fungal infections.
I do have a calcium and vitamin c dificency..could this be a reason!?!?