Black Marks On Fingernails

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Black Marks On Fingernails

I recently went to see a doctor about some problems that i've been having for several months with digestion and an inconsistent heart palpitation (it's not a rapid palpitation, but a slow, hard, sort of flip flop palpitation that happens once or twice a day...).  The night before I went to see him I did an internet search about some marks that have recently popped up on my fingernails. On four nails I've got small, splinter-like marks and on two nails I've got a thin black hair-line mark that's about a quarter of an inch long. The internet search revealed that I might have some heart problems, but nothing I read gave me many details. The doctor said the marks were not the type of marks normally associated with sub-acute bacterial endocarditis (the heart condition most cited on the internet), but he also gave little or no guesses as to what they could be... One thing I forgot to mention to him is that around the time when the palpitations and digestion issues began I developed a rash on my chest that looked something like ringworm. It's come and gone, off and on. But I don't know if it has any connection to the marks on the nail. I just figured I'd mention it.

A little background info: i'm a 28 year old male who doesn't smoke and rarely drinks. I don't take drugs or medications. I've had a pretty stressful year and a half (which is what I chalk most of my little health idiosyncrasies up to), living in Guatemala, Mexico and the States. And although my diet's changed due to my changing environment, I've tried to keep it fairly healthy. I appreciate any advice you could offer. And if you need me to clarify anything, I'd be happy to. I know this is probably a little scattered.