Blisters on my face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Blisters on my face

I am 26 years old and I have been suffering with this condition all of my life and the Doctors do not seem to know what it is.  

I suffer with blisters that have appeared on my cheeks, lips, eyes, ears, neck and once on my thigh.  When they erupt they are very itchy and are not noticeable to look at.  This is the most infectious stage- if I touch it at this time it will spread.  The next day a cluster of blisters will appear and the area swells immensely.  The cluster is usually no bigger than a five-pence piece, but the swelling makes it look ten times worse.  Over the next two days these blisters are filled with pus and as they burst they start to scab over.  Once the scab has dropped off, everything is back to normal- except I usually have a new scar.  The process usually lasts for about a week.  They tend to come up as an adult when I extremely stressed.  I also thought that there may be a link to cow's milk so I switched to soya milk, but unfortunately, that hasn't stopped them from returning.

I would just like to know what this condition is, so that I can find ways to prevent it coming back if possible.
Did you ever find a solution to your problem because it sound just like what I have. I am 49 years old and have never had that kind of trouble before. Last year, a month or so before my daughter got married, I started getting hives (or what I thought to be hives). Bumps under my skin that came and went and itched and my face became flustered. I thought I was just stressed out and it would go away. They never went away but rather started turning into blisters that itched as they erupted, broke open and seeped clear liquid, then scabbed over. They sometimes multiplied in small clusters, especially if I squeezed them even though I have been even more meticulous about my skin care. I've been on antibiotics for almost a year now (I think they've tried about 3 different kinds so far) and on antibacterial face cleansers and topical treatments. Nothing has worked. It is so depressing. I have always had a really nice complexion and I am just so depressed over my looks now. Would love to find an answer to my problem. Can you help?
No, I have no luck in determining what it is yet, I'm sorry.  But if I do find a Doctor or anyone else who is able to help me, I shall update you!
your story sounds so much like what I have been going through for about eight years now! I have been to so many doctors and have had many tests and biopsys.After being seen by many doctors at one time in there grand rounds they didnt give me a diagnosis,but started me on the medication orap for a nuerological condition.It has been the only thing that has worked.Please let me know if you find out any information on this dibilitating problem.
My husbands skin did this several times.  I am researching online and I  think he may be allergic to Aleve/Naproxen Sodium.  Keflex and a steroidal face cream stop the blistering and itching
within hours.
I seem to have the skin sore simliar to your description akbornlady, and I hope this will help you Lex81 as well. Before the sores actually become sore they form a blister on my face and when I pop them (I probably shouldn't as it encourages spread of whatever it is) a clear liquid which escapes from it.  Once the blister is open it scabs over.  Well, I'm applying Aloe Vera onto the sores nows - for 2 days so far and they seem to heal fairly quickly, some do not appear as hideous as they were.  I would hope aloe vera would help, i apply the liquid from the gel of the plant directly onto my sores (with my finger), but I wash the sores first and the plant, and I reapply the aloe once the aloe dries on my face.  The plant is said to contain Vitamin E - which helps skin.  Plant some in your garden because we all have cuts now and then.  I suggest the aloe vera because it has helped with cuts before, and since it is organic I rely on it rather than prescribed medicine.  If you would like know how the aloe is working on me feel free to email: s2_elaine***@**** and I will gladly fill you in and my sores =P, keep in mind it has been 2 days of application of the plant, it's not a mircle worker, well almost...
I am currently suffering a similar condition and have been for 3 months, the GP thinks i have an allergy but i cant work out what to. Either way, i am so sick of being prescribed steriod creams that make it worse and antihistemines that dont work so i have booked to see a private dermo next week. I will keep you posted. I too though have found aloe vera gel helpful, i do not have a plant but i got a tube from the health store. I am also taking aloe vera juice orally every day and drinking 6-8 pints of water. Vit C tablets help too to increase anti oxidants, also Bete Carotene tabs for vit A. Hope this helps
I have had the same skin condition since I was born. It comes up on different parts of my face. My eye, on my cheek and on my nose. It's painful at first and then it's itchy and I get a cluster of blisters. The doctors told me when I was little that it was herpes(or cold sores). It leaves really bad scars for years. It takes about two weeks to go away. I've tried to use cold sore medicine and it doesn't make it any better. I just wonder if it's something else. It ususally comes when I've been sick or I'm stressed out. Please if anyone could help, I would love to know more about this.
By chance I happened to stumble upon a condition called Dermatitis herpetiformis, which is caused by gluten intolerance.

I am in the process of going to a dermatology specialist, I will update you all when I have (if any) some answers.

Please click on the link below to see pictures of this condition.

http://www.dermatitisherpetiformis.org.uk/photos.html

I would just like to point out that because I am black the blisters aren't as red underneath as the pictures shown, but some of the pictures, notably the ones of the armpit, closely resemble the blisters that I have on my face.
my son is 2yrs old, and he gets these random blisters on his face, they're about the size of a pencil tip, they don't seem to bother him at all. right now he has three, one, on the upper/outside eyelid(not on the eyelid). one on his chin, and one on his cheek. ever since i can remember he's gotten them, one will go away and then one will come back in a different place on the face. but he has always had one on the same spot on his inner thigh. his doctor told me it was nothing to be concerned about unless, the blister forms a dimplelike thing. at the time he was checked out he didn't have those dimples and now he does. and i don't know what he meant by the dimple thing, he never mentioned it. anybody out there that can help me?
Hi everyone,

My GP was once a skin specialist and she says that it is most likely that I have facial herpes (coldsores, fever blisters).

She has given me some anti-viral drugs to stop the recurrences, however if they still come back we go back to the drawing board.

My appointment with the dermatologist should be in around 8 weeks and I should have my blood tests back later this week.

I will update you as soon as I have some concrete news!
   I have been getting blisters on my face now for about 7 months. They just seem be be clearing up and then they come back! I suffer from eczema any way so this is a nightmare!! At first the Dr thought they were cold sores and prescribed cream and tablets for this. Nothing happened! Eventually I saw a specialist who said it was Impetigo and prescribed cream and tablets! It seems to work but they have come back so I have started on some stronger antibiotics today. If you look Impetigo up and find some photos of people with it, that may indicate if this is what you have. It is very infectious. I change my pillow case every day and also use a clean towel. I boil wash these after use! I have thrown all my make up and creams ( in pots as dipping your finger back in the pot will be re infecting your skin with the bacteria!) away. I am still waiting for this to work. I am desperate!! I'm 32 and am fed up of bad skin on my face!
I have the same blisters on my face that akbornladay described.  They form in less than an hour and start leaking out a clear fluid for 1-2 days.  The fluid usually dries into a big yellow scab.  They then dry up and form a normal scab and then heal without much of a scar if any.  I've tried antibiotics, antiviral, steroid creams, pretty much everything the dermatologist could give me, and nothing has worked.  I haven't had a solid diagnosis, although a biopsy said it was consistend with rosacea.  The treatment for rosacea has not been working though.  If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated.
I should add I'm 27 and have had this problem for about 3 years now.
I get the same type of blisters every summer, my doctor prescribes Valtrex, and it works. Once the blisters start, it only takes two to three days for the blisters to heal and eventually disappear after I start taking the Valtrex.
I have been having the same problem however mine astrt out almost like a pimple.  Of course like most I am a "Picker" they turn into sores and have even caused my eyes to swell.  They are mstly around and in my eyebrows however I have had some on the forehead and face as well.  I was on Penasillin but it only cleared it up for a short time.  I have been using antiseptic powder (Gold Bobd) which is helping them dry up however for everyone that clears up anyother seems to pop out???  No one seems to know what they are but I am starting to look like a freak!  Can anyone help?
I also get these blisters and it makes me so depressed, I have been having them since I have had neurological problems so think this may be linked, I am so greatful for this google search and all the above help thanks.

I am going to the doctors tomorrow and will get back to you all if he says anything that helps.
cath
I used a exfoliant on my face back in august of 09. Went my family doctor prescribed three different creams ,then went to 2different dermatologists for help no body can actually pin point what its is and im really stressed out all i do is cry cause im so ugly now just blisters keep comeing up. Hurts so bad very painful. So wished yall pray for me thanks
The same thing started happening to me about 3 weeks ago. At first it started with one pimple and then got bigger, itched, bursted, and seeped clear liquid. After about a week it started to spread and today I went to my family doctor, and he diagnosed it as a type of staff infection called impetigo. He prescribed oral pills called Bactrim and topical ointment call bactraban.
I have had this issue a couple times before and just this last week expierenced an outbreak like never before. I use a series of acne medications that only made it worse. The doctor said she did not know what it was. Said maybe a fungal, bacterial or possibly staff infection. She recommended cetaphil soap and lotion as well as a benzoyl peroxide walgreens has an inexpensive off brand. This had help reduce the sores. Mine start like a pimple with no head or boil. Later looking more like a blister and very red around the area. The bump varies in size and is not always a perfect circle. Later this sore/ blister will ooze clear colored liquid and the thin layer of skin on top of the sore will sluff off. Leaving it to be an open sore just raw skin. Upon healing a scar is left leaving the skin white in color. They are not itchy but very tender and burn or sting. I have done some research online and found similar symptoms related to lupus. Lupus goes through remition and exaserbation stages. The majority of people live with it for a long period of time before ever knowing some forever. There are other symptoms like inflamed joints, anemia, hair loss thinness, rashes, sores etc. In this situation a rhumatologist needs to be consulted. These sores can sometimes vary in distinction and be found on other area of the body. Most where the skin has access to sun exposure.
I have found the cause of these sores to be  unkown and undiagnosed in all other forums and info I have read. Please uppdate with anymore info or advise. I will post any further findings I discover. Web md has a symptom calculator that may help will ideas to shorten the duration of the outbreaks. I was led to a lupus support site after completing mine. Ironically I do have lupus and was diagnosed 18 yrs ago.

3 days ago for the first time of my life i woke up with hundreds of little blisters all over my face, i was freaking out...it was swollen, the blisters were bursting out all over and leaving scabs on so on and so forth... I called up my dr. and he told me to take BENADRYL every 4 to 6 hours and to calm my skin down ,he said to mix in a bowl 1 cup of COLD water with 1 Tablespoon of vinegar and to apply it all over my face. to dib it gently on the spots!!! And let me tell you that it worked and VERY well.
After day 3 its looks MUCH better, its not itchy anymore and i can see that its healing very well!!! good luck
I have had these for the past 3 years, i used to suffer with acne, but this isnt a problem now.....i do however get the blisters you are describing, it comes up like a spot, but itches alot, then over night it will spread into about a 5-10p size area of raised blisters in a cluster, sometimes they raise alot and is terribly sore, it feels as tho someone is sticking pins in my face. i gte them on my jaw line, and by the side of my eye brow and the bridge of my nose, i have been told its acne, exzema (eczema), coldsores all sorts, i have found that putting athletes foot powder (i know sounds stupid) directly onto the blisters it soon dries them out.....also it has been suggested to try baking soda?
I have had the same problem for the last 7 years, I am 23 and still no one can tell me what it is... I have tried the creams, cold sore treatment etc etc but nothing ever works... Please help
I have similar 'blisters'. I call them my crack sores, because I've never had anything like this appear anywhere on me before. I am 44 yrs. old, a daily crack user, and assumed the sores were from my drug use. They start out looking like a pimple, but extremely painful as they swell. No pus, only clear fluid and blood come out of these sores. also they appear to have some kind of white hair looking debris in the open sore that it becomes after bursting. please help!
I have had the EXACT same thing you are describing for the last four years and it has been absolutely AWFUL!!!! I have been to a MILLION dermatologists and specialists and NO one seems to know what it is- I have been diagnosed and misdiagnosed with impetigo but my doctors have finallly admitted they just cannot figure it out. it has been somewhat under control as i now take monocycline once a day (solodyn worked better tho) and am on metro gel to treat rosacea, and claritin to prevent any hives from coming (because they always start out as hives). Have you found anything else that has worked for you? I definitely notice I get them more when I am run down/stressed/drank a lot in a weekend. But it really makes me SO depressed and I don't know what to do anymore....... Any feedback you could give me would be SO appreciated.
I had these same blisters. I went to the dermatologist and he immediately said it was an allergic reaction to fluoride. I started using an all natural toothpaste and the went away and have never returned. I was 30 when the diagnosis was made. I just turned 40 yrs old and still have never had another problem. It is worth a try.
i have same problem i have good skin never have spots but now in the last 4 months i get this on my forehead seem to come more if im tired or stressed so mum of 4 that is all the time it is getting me very low HELP PLEASE jen.
I would just like to say thank you to all who have posted here. You information had certainly raised my hopes that people will stop staring at me and the blisters on my face.

God bless you all!

Jim O
Reading all your stories is all too familiar and suffer with the liquid filled blisters that spread once popped do scab and heal but takes weeks to get better and leaves a scar. The recorrences are in the same place so never gives the skin a chance to heal completely. I was told its cold sores and use the aciclovir cream and patches to control the outbreak which does help but because I scar easily my skin is is a mess!! I do not know the trigger but believe sun light and stress do aggregate it which can't be avoided so like many of you I'm stuffed. Age 30 and suffered for 2 years, very miserable :'(
i developed a small water filled blister on one of my cheek 2 years ago, after some months they started appearing on both my cheeks and the area is slowly increasing. Blisters are painless and non itchy and are appearing ONLY on cheeks.
I went to aiims for treatment, at first they thought its pemphigus vulgaris and then thought may be its porphyria, so they did tests for both and every report was normal and negative, they even did skin biopsy but even that was normal. After giving medicines for at least one year they said they don't know what is this........!!!!!! because even after taking medicines i was developing blisters. And they also did test for herpes but even that was negative.
Now its almost three years and i still don't know what is this!!!! and why is it happening! In between  all these i tried homeopathic medicines after which frequency of appearing blisters reduced but still i am having these blisters (now one or two in one month).and now with that i am having pimples too!!! and the color of affected area has changed.
Now again i am consulting allopathic Doctor and he is also saying the same things!!! he has started medicines thinking its pemphigus and also saying that he is not sure!!!!!!!! its irritating:(
can anyone please HELP me?
Sounds like most of you have something called Porphyria.  Check out these symptoms:  http://www.bettermedicine.com/article/porphyria/symptoms  and then look up images.  See if you can't bring this information in to your doctor and get them to test for it.  I plan to - it's been 30 years of looking like this and treatments from Accutane to herbals ... to finally have an answer is amazing!  Good luck!
I have had this come and go for the past year - and I will tell you what causes this very same reaction for me - what helps heal them quickly and keeps them at bay and eventually cure yourself.

A) Stay away from Dairy, especially cheese I find causes a reaction and takes weeks for my skin to calm down so please avoid it.

B) Gluten - Gluten intolerance is highly associated with inflammatory disorders of all kinds. It is also a contributing factor in many autoimmune diseases such as celiac disease, rheumatoid arthritis, type I diabetes, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, autoimmune cardiomyopathy, lymphoma, and dermatitis herpetiformis (skin disease) among others. It is also linked as a contributing factor in asthma, allergies, & eczema

Tips to Reduce risk of Gluten Intolerance:
1) Breastfeed newborns for at least the first 6 months of life.
2) Optimize vitamin D3 levels between 60-100 ng/ml
3) Optimize gut flora with high-quality fermented foods and probiotic supplements
4) Keep blood sugar under control with regular exercise and a low carbohydrate diet that is loaded with phytonutrient rich veggies, good fats and anti-inflammatory herbs.
5) When introducing gluten it is best to use sprouted forms.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/033944_gluten_sensitivity_prevention.html#ixzz1bdlisJom

C) As a woman, I found it got worse around my period - so during this time (PMS) take extra care of yourself, eat lots of greens, drink lots of water and   fill yourself with positive energy (music, funny movies, etc)

D) Stress is a huge one, so as mentioned above assist yourself and lower your stress through relaxation, music, movies, meditation etc.

E) Oil of OREGANO - my savior. This is an amazing natural substance that is an anti-bacterial, fungal and viral and is powerful stuff. You can drink it, put it under your tongue or apply it to your face (diluted) for a quick heal AND cure when taken long enough.

F) For my skin I find natural oils help, whether it be aloe, olive oil, or emu oil - keep it simple. I find for around the blisters it gets super dry when it heals so I apply Aquaphor. Altho its mineral oil, in small doses in this case I find it greatly assists the healing process.

G) SOLE - I apply this to my face and allow it to sit and wash it off - read about it here: http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/salt.htm

H) Energy work ie: Clearing emotional wounds and traumas. Sometimes we think we need to fix ourselves by changing our diets and using better products - but we tend to neglect our energetic bodies/minds. An easy way to do this is to simply place yourself in a state of GRACE. Forgive yourself, forgive others and be completely thankful for who you are and yes, even for this annoying ailment - as its bringing you closer to yourself. How? After you master this problem, you will feel empowered and unstoppable. Love yourself no matter what.

I) Sleep and exercise, and drink plenty of water. This is self explanatory.

J) Detox your body, this can be your body reacting to an overgrowth of yeasts, bacteria, and toxin. I find using etible clay is wonderful for cleaning out the body - lots of Vitamin C to strengthen the immune system, and freeze dried green superfood powders to boost yourself back into a healthy body.

I have had this come and go for the past year and once I did everything I mentioned above (and I know it seems like much but it really isnt once you're in a groove), it kept them at bay and actually cured me. It comes and goes when I decide to neglect my self (physical and energetic) and it takes me a good 2-3 weeks to find my balance again. I know this to be true, I am an example of this :)

Good health to you all.
ps:

if you have any questions, please feel free to message me I am happy to go into more detail privately to help as much as I can.
im so tired of this.for like 13 yrs ive been having this too.only in my face i get this burning red itchy blisters.biopsy ,said allergys (allergies) but not true. i do my same eating style nothing new to my life .and i got this. dctrs cant tell me either wat they r.very itchy and stressful .and im the type  of woman that dont wear makeup.natural look.
I have been dealing with these "blister" type bumps that most of you are describing- for years. It's kind of odd though because its like I get all different sorts of lesions. Some seem like cystic acne and are REALLY painful. Those lesions are deep in the skin. Well, I got most of that taken care of, but I still get these blister like lesions that come out of nowhere. They are not painful at all, sometimes they itch- but not really. But once I get one, they spread very quickly. Some of them look like they have whiteheads- but don't while others do, some have many. Regardless, most of them drain clear fluid afterwards. They seem to be triggered more by heat, sweat, and stress, but not always.  They mostly come up in the same, exact areas. I have noticed that these "blisters" have occasionally began popping up on my children's faces, maybe one or two. I know that this is an old forum, but it seem to be still active. I am 28 and I have never had this problem until I had kids, though I am sure that has nothing to do with it. Currently, I am taking spiroaldactone for the cystic acne, l-lysine for possible viral cold sores, and I have been on and off of antibiotics for years. Everything has kind of helped, but not completely. I am just not sure if I have a mixture of different infections going on or if it is all the same thing.
Try not to use any face wash or masks or creams with alot of harsh chemicals in them as I find this worsens the problem.
I have suffered with them for years and I find simply rubbing on baby jelly must contain Aloe Vera and not touching the area until it is subsided helps it go away, but it always lies just bellow the surface of your skin so remember no harsh chemicals on your skin hope this helps:)
I have had something sort of tsimilar only mine pops up in the same EXACT spot one to two times each year, like clockwork, and always the same spot, my middle right cheek by my nose, and always the same thing, the same size and same symptoms. No doctor can tell me what it is, no test or meds help. It starts red, turns into tiny round little clear bumps of watery liquid,when scratched off leave a small round dot like hole in my flesh.Usually several in a circular shaped formation only in ne place, Its never spread its never itvhed but otherwise sounds similar. Sometimes itll swell up underneath my skin too right under the sore, and I always thought it was just swelling. But one time I got so upset, I took a razorblade and lanced my own face open to see, and orangy watery blood by the ounce poured out. I wiped it every few seconds, and used half a roll of T.P. before it ceased, and only then did it stop because it clotted. In a few days time it scabs and heals even if I do not mess with it. Then later in the year, it comes back same exact spot, same thing again. Had 40 tests done, nothing found a cure or diagnosis. Calamine lotion dries it up a bit, but nothing really works. Hydrogen peroxide I've used too.I wish anyone could help me too! I wish I could help you all too!
I am 36 and I have been suffering from fever blisters since I was 20.  I recently discovered a cream that helped and after years of suffering and embarrasment I no longer have to put up with it.  I would like to share this with everyone because it changed my life.  The doctor perscribed a cream to my daughter (7) when she had a skin condition on her leg so I tried it on my face and it worked! I have been using this cream for the last year and it even took away a normal cold sore that I had on my mouth.  The cream worked instantly and you have to apply it the minute you feel the itching.  The cream is called HYDROZOLE (It is a broad spectrum anti-fungal and anti-flammatory cream for sensitive inflamed fungal skin conditions).  You will have to ask your doctor to perscribe it as it cannot be purchased over the counter (in Australia). It contains 1% cortisone and 1% clotrimazole.  You will only need to apply a very small amount once or maybe twice.  Make sure you only apply it on the affected area. The itching will stop and the blisters won't get a chance to form.  I had a fever blister on Monday and you can hardly see it two days later.  I hope that I will be able to help anyone with this condition and please share it with others if you find it worked for you.
Please see my comment.  I am 100% sure this cream will help.
Please see my comment below.  I hope the cream a suggested will help you liked it helped me.
I've been suffering from blistering inflammation for 5 years (I'm 29 now).  I used to get huge red bumps on my face, especially my cheeks, which would ooz yellowish liquid for 2 days.  It has been only a few months since I've gotten it under control.  I've tried all kinds of antibiotics, cremes, biopsies, 6 different dermatologists, none of which helped.  Last year, I took accutane for 6 months with great results (from a blister every other day to once per month).  However, after accutane, it all came back so I've been taking minocycline (which didn't help at all before accutane).  My skin has been so much better; I'm gradually decreasing the minocycline intake from twice a day to once every 2-3 days.  Hopefully, I won't need to take it at all eventually.  I use "neutrogena naturals purifying pore scrub" for face wash, cetaphil for moisturizer, and lancome mineral power for sunblock.  I have extremely sensitive skin, and have tried so many different products.  These are the only ones that doesn't make me break out with cystic acne.  I have suffered and cried so much, and deterred having any social life going through this awful skin condition.  Just keep trying until you figure out what works for your skin, eat healthy, and use mild products.  It will get better.    
Tammy
I first went to the doctor for a burn from nair hair remover I used on my eyebrows. he gave me a antibotic (antibiotic) cream and pain pills. The cream set my face on fire! I have been getting blisters and severe burning for over a month now. he treated me for infintago. In between seeing him I was admitted to the hospital for heart problems, still had hives so was in isolation.
When they tested the fluid from the blisters they found no infintago, no merca. And whatever it is they said is not contagious. That was 3 weeks
ago! I am still lgetting hvies and my face, burns like hell. Going back to dr
for visit #4 this afternoon. God bless you dear.
bet105
If you suffer from skin blisters like cold sores (which have a clear liquid not yellowish pus) when you are run down or stressed, (and if you have ever contracted chickenpox) you may have shingles.

Many viruses live on in our bodies after the disease they arrived with is cured. In the case of Chicken Pox, the virus which causes it (a Herpes Zoster Virus - not "Herpes" but related to it), lives on in the nervous system - where it is kept in check (but not quite destroyed) by the body's immune system. Then it will sometimes resurface as Shingles, which look like herpes blisters.

If it does resurface, it is usually in old age or middle age but some people (immuno-compromised, stressed, etcetera) experience it when they are younger. It may also resurface when people's body's are chemically stressed. If, for instance, you have an intolerance to sallicylates, amines or glutamates and overconsume them over a short period.

Good luck and good health.
Well it has been a long time since I been here , I have had open heart surgery and just getting back on my feet. They tested that nair burn for shingle virus and it was negative also for another contagious disorder , I forget what it was now. But it was also negative.
Seems it was just a reaction to the Nair. Thought I would just drop by and update. Hope all is well

Bet
kadmck

That is what my quack doctor said I had too. Told me to stay on the meds and in the house away from people for 6 weeks. And to apply cream daily. It did NOTHING! I ended up in the hospital for a heart problem, they re tested what he said was impetigo , it was not! They never figured out what it was. They gave me some other cream, that just burned worse, not matter what I tried , It burned.
Mine started with using NAIR Hair Remover on my eyebrows , DO NOT EVER DO THAT. I was in the hospital for heart surgery for 5 days , when I left , I still had the rash on my face, eventually it cleared up. no problems since, THANK GOD!  I will pray for ALL OF YOU!
Have read all comments, I have had something similar.  I get 1 blister like bump in different locations a couple 2 pr 3 times a year.  Nothing helps and eventually scabs over and heals.  All my life ( 70 yrs). Drs have no idea.