DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
Blood-filled bump on nose - please help
by 3cuties, Sep 20, 2009
My 5 year old daughter has a bump on the tip of her nose.  She's had it for about 2 weeks now.  We thought it was a boil but it is not.  It is blood filled and reddish purple.  We poked it a little to see if we could drain it (when we thought it was a boil) but only blood came out.  It hasn't gone down.  Has anyone else experienced this? Thank you....just concerned it might be something worse.
Member Comments (2)
by Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank, Sep 21, 2009
It can be a blood blister. It is a type of blister that forms when subdermal tissues and blood vessels are damaged without piercing the skin. Please do not mess with it and give rest to the part, apply cold compresses, soak the blister in Epsom salt and try to avoid its rupture. If the blister breaks, quickly rinse the area and apply an antiseptic such as neosporin. It is not recommended to break a blister because it may often lead to infection.

If the symptoms worsen or persist then please consult a dermatologist.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted if you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.

by 3cuties, Sep 21, 2009
Thank you for your post.  That is what one of my friends said as well.  I took her to the Dr today and found out it is a pyogenic granuloma.  We will see the dermatologist next month to have it removed.