Dermatology Expert Forum
Blotchy Skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Blotchy Skin

I am 22 yrs old and I have a horrible discoloration skin problem.  I have always had blotchy skin since I could remember that appears around the lower back and buttocks area.  I seemed very light at first since I was 16 yrs old (maybe even younger), and has only gotten worse till today.  It doesn't come and go, it is just simply there.  I am a fair skinned black woman, and the blotches appear much lighter than my skin tone.  I don't have any discoloration anywhere else on my body.  I have had two children and it seems to have gotten worse after my second child.  The spots have now appeared on my lower waist as well as lower back and buttocks.  I don't wear bathing suits and can't wear certain clothes because I am extremely conscious of it.  So conscious that I don't want my husband to look at me anymore.  It is making my life miserable.  
I am beginning to believe that it is some type to skin cancer.  Please advise.
People get more irregular in pigment as we get older.  This is surely not a sign of skin cancer.  You need to be examined by a dermatologist for definitive diagnosis.  Perhpas more imporant, you need to look into the degree of your discomfort with your body and your reluctance to have your husband look at it.  It sounds as thought there may be deeper psychological/relationship issues here, and even if there aren't, you are likely going to have to come to terms with skin changes about which little can be done.

Don't delay--get this looked into and yourself looked after.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I forgot to mention, that the discoloratoin doesn't itch or burn.  There is no discomfort what so ever.  It is just there making me ugly.  Please tell me there is something I can do to get rid of this.  A peel, lasers, anything.  I am desperate!

Thank You.
I am very concerned as to why you constantly question the psychological state of people who write questions to you regarding how severe skin problems cause them to be self-conscious of their appearance.  I read over and over in your replies to people how they need to search deeper into other underlying problems that cause them to feel bad about themselves.  It must be nice to be so physically flawless as you must be. You can't even relate on a personal level and have some compasssion to people.  I know what it's like to be extemely self-conscious of skin problems. When people post questions to you, they aren't asking you for a mental evaluation, but you always seem to be so willing to give yours.
A related discussion, Wrinkly Skin Caused by Virus was started.
A related discussion, blotchy skin was started.