Brown stains on palms

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Brown stains on palms

Like some of the other people who have inquired on this website, I too have woken up to find strange brown stains on the palm of my hand.  It looks like iodine stains.  My hands are clean when I go to bed the night before, and when I wake up the next morning, the strainge iodine-like staining is there.  It doesn't wash off, but does fade throughout the day.  If I'm not coming into contact with anything during my sleep, what could be causing this?  Could it be a delayed reaction from contact with some substance?  Why the irregular pattern (similar to bruising)?  If I came into contact with something, why isn't my whole hand this colour?  

This discussion is related to Brown stain on palms of hands.
What is this?  I am really freaked out.  I have a fish tank and handle algae when cleaning it, but this has never happened before.  I always wash my hands really well when touching it.  Please help.  and yes I do plan on contacting my doctor.  
Sure I did repy elsewhere that there is a fungus tinea nigra which can stain black or brown the palms.
So i woke up today with the iodine like stains on my left palm.  I dont notice any others on the rest of my body.  I am 20yrs old and a virgin.  I work with E.coli cells and DNA everyday in my research lab.  The spots are painless and my arm in fully functional.  I am senior Biology major going to medical school.  I have taken pathology and believe that Tinea nigra is not a possibility because of its outrageous spreading and contagiousness.  Someone please advice...

-Dr. Stress
Tinea nigra is a rare condition overall. One hundred ten cases had been reported up to 1989 and only 19 more cases were recovered from a Medline search up to March 2001.So it is not that infectious, yet can present with brown pigments as isolated cases.Hughes, J. R., M. K. Moore, and A. C. Pembroke. 1993. Tinea nigra palmaris. Clin Exp Dermatol. 18:481-2.

Doc,

Do you think it is just hyperpigmentation and he skin will slough off soon?
Doc,

Also how bad is tinea nigra?
The one case that I saw,the whole thing cleared up in a couple of days.Not serious,you can apply canesten creme.
i woke up one morning and it looked like i was staining wood or something and i am 8 months pregnant at night it is not there and in the morning it is then fades and goes away with in 48 hours.  I had nothing for about a month and now i wake up and it is on the bottoms of my feet and palms of hands, my OBGYN does not know what it is and has never seen anything like it in a pregnant person in his 25 years and my family Dr. refered me to a dermatoligist and the dermatoligist........well she is not sure and will look into it so is there no one in the world that can answer what this is.  there is no pain and comes on while sleeping.
Why not get the pigmented area cultured for fungus?Atleast there is one diagnosis has been suggested and it should be pursued and ruled out.
I had it 3-4 times int he space of 6 weeks, with my partner having it once and my son once when he was visiting, slept downstairs though, wiped out the thought of touching something in my room. At the time 5 yrs ago when I searched on the net for an answer the only thing that came up at the top of the list was a study done by some proffesor in the US about a couple who claimed to be abducted by aliens, was a fair dinkum study from what I read. iodine type staining on hands that could not be washed off only faded after a couple of days, they did a scraping and the test showed that it was`nt any substance identifiable to scientific study
My 10 year old son woke up with strange brown stains on his right hand. The next day I woke up with the same brown stains on my left hand. As described in other posts, we both went to bed with nothing on our hands and woke up with these stains and have no explanation as to why. Neither one of us handled any chemicals, cleaners, stains, etc.. the day before. The only thing we had in common was that we both ate red, yellow, and orange peppers the night before this occurred. This was the only commonality we had related to these strange brown stains. I'm curious to know if any of the previous reply's remembered eating peppers (red, yellow, and orange) the night/day before their stains appeared.
I have woken up with these stains on my hands too. Looks like dried blood but I know it can't be that. I ate red, yellow, orange and green pepper last night..we had vegetable chilli!

I cant wash these marks off, some seem embedded around my nails too?
lol dont wipe with your hands.
omg...I've had red peppers the past 2 nights and both mornings I woke up w/ brown stains on my left palm.  Weird!!!!  No peppers for me today...hopefully no brown stains tomorrow!
maybe it has something to do with certain peppers.

i woke up with them today, and the only thing i did differently yesterday was that i ate some tuna that i spiced up heavily with mexican herbs and spices. i almost never use those spices and they've been there for a while, so it might also be a kind of bacteria or fungus that grows on exotic spices?

so there are now 3 people that have in common that it had something to do with peppers. anyone else had peppers? =]
OK, totally weird.  I've just been researching brownish stains on the palms of my  hand because last night, both my husband and I suddenly noticed odd brownish stains on our hands (the palms).  As I read the string of posts, we started laughing because we had red, orange and yellow peppers in our salad last night.  But it's not the first time we've eaten peppers, but it sure was the first time we developed odd stains.

STRANGE!!!!!!
Just like the rest of you, I too woke up this morning with a strange, irregular brown stain on the palm of my left hand.  Looked like it was dried brownish blood, but there was no blood anywhere else - and it didn't wash off!  No pain or other discomfort, and several hours later, it's still here.  Bizarre!  

But get this:  I have been using a LOT of Louisiana hot sauce (main ingredient: peppers!) over the past few months, including last night.  I know that hot peppers increase peripheral circulation - but it looks like overuse can do more than just increase flow to the extremities!  That's it - no more pepper sauce for me!  I've probably ingested my lifetime supply, anyway.  Hopefully this will clear away soon!
Wow - thank goodness for this post - I was freaking out this morning because of my palm being discolored for no apparent reason.  Now after having read these postings I understand why it was only my right hand and why this happened.  I didn't eat any red, yellow, green peppers last night but I prepared two appetizers that called for them and handled the pre-diced peppers with my right hand.  Thanks - this is a big relief.
The same thing happened to my cousin and I in the same night.  Iodine stains on our hands and fingers.  Anyone get to the bottom of this craziness.  Its not peppers, any ideas?
O.K.. so I've had this dark brown patch in the palm of my right hand for about 6 months now. I woke up one morning and had it in both palms and on the bottoms of my feet. My mother seems to think it's some kind of "stigmata" but she's pretty religious. It has faded on my feet and slightly faded in my left hand. It is about dime size now in my right hand and is slowly returning in my left. I don't eat much spicey food nor have I eaten anything with red, yellow or green peppers. I spoke with a dermatologist who said it could be something fungal and to try Clotimazole. Don't know if that's the cure but I'm willing to try it. Have been using it for only three days so I hope I see some results later in the week. I will keep you all posted.
Yes! Same exact thing. My 2 yr old son and I ate red and yellow peppers the night before and woke up with these stains on our hands. So relieved to find out it's not harmful.
I have been cutting up red yellow and orange peppers the last few day, woke up today with the same iodine like stains...
Had red peppers to eat on Saturday night, woke up to find brown stains on right hand. However did not handle them, they were prepared by someone else.
Then made a salad with Red peppers on Sunday night and again work up with stains on right hand. Weird. Thought it had to do with some medication I was taking, but after seeing all these posts seems like it could be something else. I have eaten red peppers for years however, and never had this issue before. You have to wonder if something is being added to the soil , or irrigation that would cause this where they are being grown?
I have had the beown stains in the palm of both of my hands for over a year. They were very embarrassing and itched alot.   And now the stains appear to be spreading but fading at the same time.
I also woke up, the 2nd time in the last month, with this iodine-brown looking stain on the palm side of my left hand. After reading many stories before yours it seemed like it must have been something I touched, with delayed reaction, and will just rub off. However, I read your account and I ate both yellow and orange peppers in my salad last night for dinner...interesting; I do not have any allergies that I know of, I don't recall if I had consumed peppers the last time it happened but both our stories were the only I found to match. I experience zero pain and the color is also in my hypothenar region, under my nail(s). Maybe it is the peppers.
I have Iodine markings on both of my hands and I just developed this hand
condition and is not  coming off . I am very concern about my  hand washing
always. I came across a  very  stainable substance however it was  red peppers I am certain .
I went to bed fine and then woke up with brown stains on my hands. I thought it was my liquid makeup stained because I fell asleep with it on but it didn't wash off and now I can see it really looks like Tinea Nigra. However I can't find much on the web about it and don't know if it's contagious.

I ate lots of green bell peppers on my pizza last night. (not spicy kind, just regular bell peppers)
I awoke with orange/brown staining on my hands (mostly on one, small amount on the other) yesterday morning. I also had red, yellow, orange bell peppers the night before. The staining slowly went away through the day, and are barely visible today. This morning my daughter woke up with the same thing. I don't believe she ate any peppers, though she may have handled them. It may be cause by a fungus common in  warm, humid climates. Many comments about stains showing up after touching or ingesting peppers, lemon, limes, mangoes... Possibly not the food itself, but due to fungus on these foods that were imported from other countries with this type of climate. The peppers I ate were purchased at Costco, but shipped from Mexico. Label stated they were organic.
Hello, today I woke up to find my right palm covered with brown stains. The last thing I did before bed was paint my nails, so my first thought was my nail polish remover must have made the color come off my nails. I tried cleaning the stains with my nail polish remover, and it of course didn't work.

I read the comments here and realized I did chop/eat a red pepper and a green pepper 2 nights ago (24+ hours). My theory was that perhaps the coloration was "trapped", and increasing blood circulation might help release/fade it (eg. like bruises).

I stood in the shower for an hour. It might have been the hot water, it might have been the "massaging"/pressure from the shower head, it might have even been the use of my body scrub (a cream exfoliant that is applied with my hands) - but by the end of the shower, the stains were 99% gone!
I don't eat peppers, so no easy fix. Woke up with the same brown stains on fingers and palm of my right hand. I did have a muscle injury to the arm but can't see the connection, Also this morning I hjad some slight staining on my left hand too! Could it be smoking related? I REMEMBER MY FATHER HAVING STAINS ON HIS FEET AND HIS DOCTOR TELLING HIM IT WAS THE SMOKE!??
helo i have the same symtoms (symptoms) , and mine has gone to my upper eyelids and little spots in between my fingers some light brown marks on my nose have tried lots of home remedies , seen a dermatologist had caurtizone creaams and topical creams with pills and nothing seems to have worked , is there anyone out there with similar symptoms and has "recovered"??
Brown discolouration appeared on my the pals of my hands today.  I am attributing it to my handling of a watermelon during my lunch break...noticed a few hours later. Most pronounced staining on the hand most with most contact with the juices (had been sitting in the fridge for a while...had cut off mushy areas.  Something natural or otherwise in the juice or on the skin?
No issues yet other than the discolouration.
Did any of you find out what it was ? I have a strange area  on my palm that looks kind I like a nicotine stain ( but its not) ,can't figure out what it is .. Took a photo but I don't see where I could post it
Thanks for this post... I have been noticing iodine-like stains on my left palm and inside of thumb.  I normally use green peppers a lot but replaced them with red and orange peppers this last week or so.  Seems to be a theme here.
i have been getting these strange stains on my hands as well. Every night for the past 4 days. I ruled out were i was sleeping, because i slept on my bean bag chair to see if my bed was the problem, and still had new stains, i thought maybe it was chemicals (i filled the highly concentrated chemicals for the car wash at the gas station where i work on the thursday before i first got the stains), but i continue to get them without filling chemicals. I have NOT eaten any peppers within the past week aside from jalapeño doritos but we all know that is mostly if not all artificial, what i have eaten consists of steak corn broccoli and carrots, roast beef potatoes and gravy, a bag of chips, a can of pepsi, and i didnt eat supper last night because i fell asleep early. ALSO i have been feeling EXTREMELY fatigued and being nearly unable to stay awake passed 7:00 pm. there has been no change in my diet. the only thing that has changed was a bought Export 'A' cigarrettes instead of Number 7. but i have have export a before no problem.
My Wife and I have been experiencing this since 1986 when I woke up to see that I had splotches of rust-coloured "dye" on both palms and tear-shaped splatters going up both wrists... my right palm was covered and my left, about half as much. At that time, we had white sheets and pillow cases, cream coloured carpets, white walls and white doors.
I was first and my Wife was second, the next morning.

It's been going on for some years now... even though we've moved and when we've been on vacation many miles away.

I have contacted "MUFON" just today for possible answers. Here's hoping.

I am delighted to have found this site. Perhaps our mystery can be solved.
Yesterday felt very nauseated and shaky( I don't know if this is related) and I figured it was just because I needed to eat something. We had dinner. I'm a very health conscious person normally, but this past week I haven't eaten very healthy (not sure if this has something to do with it). Just before bed I noticed rust/ henna colored stains all over the palm of my left hand. I tried washing it off, but it won't come off. It doesn't smell or itch or hurt. It's just there. I woke up in the middle of the night from a stomach ach and used the bathroom. When I did, I noticed that some marks are now showing up on my right palm too. Anyone know what this is?
I had red, yellow and orange peppers last night in my salad and woke up with these stains on my hands too!
im glad that I found this post! I also had the red yellow orange peppers and woke up to discoloration in my right palm, and right foot sole.
I hate peppers so i know that cant be the reason. I woke up with brown/dark purple bruising like colors almost between my fingers goin down to my knuckles in the front side of my hand not the palm side. Ive noticed that most people are getting the spots on their palms but mine are on the other side and are quite visible compared to my normal left hand .
woke up with brown iodine like stains on the soles of my feet I didn't go anywhere or step in anything
I too have woken a few times in the past month with stains on my hands... it looks like a rust colour and does not wash off. I go to bed with clean hands, and wake up with these stains.

I have read elsewhere that it could be related to a preservative used on fruits, this is possible for my case, as I have just started juicing fruits but mostly vegetables.

The only thing I find odd about that scenario, is that if it was from a food preservative, why does it not appear straight away from contact of the foods... it appears on my skin in my sleep.

It's bizarre... :-/
This is what I found: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_permanganate

Scroll down near the bottom where it describes "Uses".

Any thoughts about this?
yes I have what is it what should I do