Bump in middle of upper buttocks near lower back

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

For about a year now, I've had this bump in the middle of my buttocks close to my lower back. It itches sometimes and hurts when I sit in a certain position. I don't think it was sexually transmitted because when I first noticed it, I hadn't had sexual contact in a while and haven't since. I hope it's not from sitting in public toilets, although I've hard one can't get any infections that way.

Is a dermatologist the right kind of doctor to look at something like that? That area is hairy, so should I shave it before a doctor looks at it?

I would appreciate any feedback.
Avatar dr f tn
HI,

Are there other signs or symptoms present? Can you elaborate more on the bump description? How big is this? If it is soft and doughy and moves easily with slight finger pressure, this could be a lipoma. A lipoma is a flattened lump located just under the skin. Lipomas often occur in the neck, shoulders, back, arms and thighs. They can be painful if they grow and press on nearby nerves, or if they contain many blood vessels. A lipoma is rarely a serious medical condition. Any swelling or lump must be checked by a surgeon. Just leave it as it is and avoid manipulation. They can aways shave it during consult. Take care and keep us posted.
Avatar n tn
Hello doctor,

I took a look at the bump and it is about 1/4 of an inch across the skin. I'm in my mid-twenties. Can someone my age get a lipoma?

I'm going to make an appointment to see a dermatologist this coming week. Thank you for your input, Dr. Santos.