Dermatology Expert Forum
Bump under armpit

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Bump under armpit

I am an 18 year old male and yesterday mornig I woke up to find a small bump under my armpit.   There are no exterior signs but it can be felt underneth my skin.   It doesn't really hurt, when I raise my arm all the way up I feel a little discomfort, sort of if I was strething a tight area, and seems to be going down a bit since yesterday.  So, is this something I should worry about?
And what could cause such a thing?

thanx
-Adam
Adam:

Don't worry.  The only thing which could cause a bump in that area is a blocked follicle.  These always go away on their own, mean nothing, and should be ignored.  Use your usual antiperspirant, etc.

It should take a few weeks to disappear.

Best.

Dr. R
Is it not possible for this bump to be a swollen gland (sweat gland, etc.)??
It could be, you're right, but the implications (or lack thereof) are the same.

Dr. R
Why are you telling him its nothing?? That is so not true! I had a small bump under my armpit 3 years ago, it never went away, and now i have 3 of them under one armpit and one under the other.  They are cysts, and they are painful! I think he should go to the doctor and find out if its ok by a doctor examining it.  These cysts are treated with antibiotics, however, after a while they come back, and they are worse. My doctor told me that some people after they hit puberty get cysts throughout their whole lives and there is nothing to do but treat them, or remove them.  DO NOT continue to use deodorant, clogging your hair folicle is what caused these cysts in the first place! I didnt see a doctor becuase I thought it was nothing, and now i have to have my sweat glands removed becuase I waited too long. Before they get big enough to leave a sac that will contiue to fill up time after time, go and see what it is.
Going to a doctor is never a bad idea . . .

Dr. R
This is classic. One says it is nothing to worry about and the other says that you better seek help soon or else...
:)
Perhaps it's classic.  But the one who says you'd better take care of it or else is not a doctor. . .
Last week my boyfriend found bump under his armpit and it was very red and painful. I suggested that he go see a doctor because it appeared to be a biol to me. (And no I am not a doctor, but i have seen a biol) This was on Thursday, and like most men, he has not gone to the doctor.  Now he has another one that is forming but smaller. He also has one the same size form under his other armpit. I still think he needs to see a doctor, but he thinks it's a heat rash because he does sweat more than average. He also works outside all day. Any suggestions?
haha its pretty funny most of the posts here are at least 7 yrs ago.

anyways, im not a doctor, not yet anyway, but i've always been having lumps around both my left and right armpit, i once had a infected sebaceous cysts removed from the base of my penis, and i'm rather active in sports and rather athletic mesomorphic body build, i used to live in a tropical area, hot and humid, so i'd sweat a lot, more than a usual person. and i have an odor problem, well, it could be or not be a problem...but now i'm living in a rather low humid area with 4 seasons, and i still get lumps at my armpits and pubic area, what the heck is my problem?

is it cause by diet? meaning i shud change my diet ie eat less meat / sugar based food......or it's just this way, what could  the Derm Md advise?
A related discussion, SKin infection and boyfriend wont go to doc... was started.
A related discussion, bumps under armpit was started.
A related discussion, big time acne was started.
I'm 15 and im a male and I have have a little bump under my arm pit what should I do I'm rllyy scared and I ask you because I don't feel like going to the doctor
A related discussion, small bump was started.