Burning Red Face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Burning Red Face

Five months ago, a couple of red rashes that were warm to the touch appeared on the top part of my cheeks that was later diagnosed as severe contact dermatitis. For about six weeks, I put 1% hydrocortisone on my face and an array of moisturizers. My cheeks would improve only to have the rash come right back.

After these six weeks,  I saw the dermatologist that diagnosed me. By this time, my cheeks were bright red and burning. I was then given hydrocortisone 2.5% for two weeks and was told to use Vanicream lotion. As I began to use the hydrocortisone, my facial burning intensified, but my redness decreased. I was then switched to Desonide ointment for about five days, but the intense burning only continued. After that, I was given Elidel, Pandel, and even Hylira. These also caused my face to burn almost unbearably. So, I was then given a Celestone injection and Prednisone, which I had to stop after a few days due to side effects.

After all this, I stopped using any of these steroids or lotions. I am washing my face with water and only applying powder makeup on very rare occasions (once or twice a month). I also use wet compresses when my face begins to burn. The burning and feelings of warmth have decreased, but I still deal with these sensations on a daily basis. Furthermore, everything seems to irritate my skin and leads to increased burning and sometimes itching. I know have a pink background to my cheeks that turns red with heat or the simple act of washing my face.  Dermatologists have called it sensitive skin syndrome, angry face syndrome, eczema, or possibly rosacea. All I know is that my face is very irritated, sore, and appears dry and flaky in places.

I do have a history of sensitive skin and occasional rashes. Right now, I have a rash on my wrist, breast, and elbow. So, I would say that I probably do have eczema. However, I am starting to think that the burning I am experiencing has to do with 2-3 months worth of steroids on my face.

Could this be causing these daily bouts of burning sensations?  
Will my skin ever return to normal?
Is it alright to use cool wet compresses on my cheeks or am I only drying my face out?

Tags: irritable